You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air dryer question

The stainless braided hose between the compressor and the AD-9 is needed to help cool the compressed air a bit before it reaches the dryer. The instruction with the dryer probably notes the required length, unlike noses, in this case longer is better. I replaced the Airmaster on both my 77 and 93 coaches. Except for the previously mentioned mounting holes and hose length I don’t recall any difficulties. Before the change I always had water in the first tank after the dryer, afterwards I never found water and removed the auto drain valve on that tank.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Thanks for the input guys. I'm headed over to the coach tomorrow to get a closer look at my situation. My coach is a 38' and only has the one compressor, which is located in the front bay on the passenger side. The air dryer is located in the engine compartment so that has to be a pretty long braided hose. I'll see if I need to add some length to get to the AD 9 and what other accessories I need to gather up.

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

The engine mounted air compressor connects to the air dryer via the braided hose . From the air dryer compressed air travels to the tanks for brakes , suspension, etc . 
The compressor in your forward compartment is electric  ( 110 vac in my case ) , does not feed to air dryer inlet .
Good luck! 
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Tony, the braided hose in question runs from the engine driven air compressor to the air dryer.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks for the clarification. I'm heading over in a little while . Will take some pics in case I have specific questions.

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
Columbia, SC

Hi all,

Getting ready to change out the air dryer. I have spent quite a bit of time looking closely at the current set up and trying to make sure I kind of know what I am doing. This is where my lack of knowledge/skills come shining through and where I need to lean on the expertise of the Gurus.
I have included some pictures that will hopefully help make questions less confusion. The 1st pic is of the current setup and the second one is from the AD-9 installation instructions. Both air dryers have 3 ports. Bendix calls theirs the Control Port, Delivery Port and Supply Port. The Breakmaster ports are Inlet Port, Outlet Port and Unloader Port.
Based on the airline size (1/4") I believe the Control Port and Unloader Ports are the same. My assumption is the Supply Port and Inlet port are the same, which leaves the Delivery Port and Outlet Port to match up. Does that sound right?
Then I'm not sure what to do with the 3/8" airline that T's into the contraption that the Braided Hose is connected to. How would you set this up?
I have also included some pics of the braded hose route. Is the starting point the engine compressor? 
I am probably over thinking this (That tends to be my MO) but this makes me nervous.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
Columbia, SC

You are correct on supply , delivery and control . The governor is mounted to the bulkhead , inboard of the fuel filter . There is a 1/4 black plastic hose coming off a Tee that heads to the air dryer control . Not sure about the blue 3/8 hose , I don't think I have that , will look this evening , get photos . On the '86 the braided hose from the top of the compressor routes directly to the AD-9 , whereas your system has galvanized piping involved . Not sure if that is original , but it has been working for you . As they say , if it ain't broke ..
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

My guess is that the 3/8 line comes from the 110v compressor, I would take the line off  turn on the 110v compressor and see if air comes out

John Kosir
712 2004  45-8

So I finished installing the new air dryer today (kind of). The first test went smooth as can be. The system aired up as it normally would and purged around 130 psi. I was pretty excited. I shut everything down so I could clean up. Took a break for about an hour. Round 2: Started the coach. Both gauges read 50 psi. Within a minute of starting, the supply gauge started dropping and went down to 0. The brake side stayed at 50 psi.
I double checked my electrical connections, all good. No air leaks either.
Thoughts?

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
Columbia, SC

Possibly your pressure protection valve is stuck.