You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Salon Slide rebuild

Simon, we have always owned non-slide coaches before this one as my goal was to be able to be on the road when called in about 30 minutes. The slide is definitely a love/hate thing but after I get it sealed up and working it may be a different game for us. Simon, private message me if you want to talk woodworking - I can give you some tips on which tools I use most. I have several orbital sanders including a Milwaukee 18-volt that I loved until I broke down and finally bought a Festool Rotex - it is a total game-changer (I even use it to polish my cars now!), I rarely ever use my Milwaukee any more :-(.
Dave thanks for the kudos. My slide was definitely sagging in the middle (mine are HWH slides) so I’m coming up with a way to ‘arch’ the slide room ‘truss’ so it will engage the seal completely. There was also a suggestion of using Eternabond tape across the top but hopefully will not have to go that route. I’m going to be using RivNuts to hold the truss rather than the small screws - this is probably a good upgrade for any Newell with an HWH slide room. Once those screws rust out from water getting in they are pretty useless.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Hmmmmmmm. I have seen one coach that used the eternabond tape on the top. Over time the pressure of the slide seal caused the “adhesive goo” to ooze out from under the tape. It of course stuck to the seal and pulled the seal out.

The goo is a bear to remove. I put it in the same category as POR paint and spray foam insulation.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, that makes complete sense! You are also correct that POR is impossible to get off anything it sticks to!. I don’t plan to use anything between the slide and seal after the repairs. Maybe 3M tape of some sort would work better as a last resort to keep rain out?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Adrian,
You may have already considered doing something with your salon slide along these lines (http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=5101). While working on the slide lock pins I checked the slide hook engagement. This solution has worked out great, I still have a positive engagement with very little perceptible sag in the middle.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Deja vu! This looks just like our salon looked like. Like you we're rebuilding it, its a major job.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas