You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fire Captain's Fire Safety Review | Andrew Steele's RV Fire

By now, most of you know about the catastrophic fire that consumed Andrew & Shea's coach, taking with it, all of their contents and belongings that they had packed up as they moved Shea out of her house.

After the incident, I told Andrew that I can't let his experience go without using it for the good of others; to help bring the awareness of fire safety to the forefront.  It makes me sick to see the negativity and evil in others.

So, I felt compelled to stay up 'til 2am to get this video out, because it was a way for me to help, as well as for my own good to "heal" from all the wounds that others are leaving.

Just because I retired from the profession doesn't mean I will ever stop trying to help save one life, or someone's property through education.

I welcome any discussion, comments, or questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbgNI1W6Y0k

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Steve, We really appreciated your video. We also have sadness for Andre and Shea’s loss having followed him since deciding to fulltime. Being a journeyman lineman for the last 25 years I am well aware of the destruction caused by fire. When we purchased our coach and moved in the first thing that made me uncomfortable was the bedroom, having only one 18” x 3’ window (non emergency exit) with a robust divider down the middle. Needless to say limited egress on a front entry if a fire broke out in the front of the coach. That motivated me get two full face 10 min potable oxygen masks, two more fire extinguishers and hatchets which Emily and I keep readily available in our nightstand drawers. We practice getting our masks on and simulate fighting a fire and chopping through the half bath window (has a Jack and Jill door to the bedroom) yet still Andrew and Shea’s loss and magnitude of the fire reminds us we can do more and never be ready enough……getting bigger extinguishers today. Thanks again for the education.

Jeff and Emily Full timer lineman
2006 45’ #764  Cat C15 625
Vacaville California

Thank you for the video. It does make one aware the dangers we have unless properly prepared. We too have non emergency windows and plan on roll out window sill hanging stairs to climb out in case of a fire up front. Scary to think. I did find many many crimp splices on the 120v wiring which left me uncomfortable as an Electrician. I have been soldering all that I can get to. Still, it may never be enough or would it be the cause. We still have a few Halon extinguishers on board that appear fully charged. Surprised to see how expensive they are to buy new.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Just gutted about Andrew and Shea. Thanks for taking the time to make the video Steve. I never thought about taking fire precautions aside from an extinguisher or two and smoke detectors.

Now is a different story. Thinking about automatic fire suppression systems. Has anyone installed one, or two if you include both engine and generator?

This one looks interesting due to simplicity of installation and the ability to add an audible and light alarm upstairs. Might need two for the main engine bay though.

https://www.blazecutusa.com/collections/...cts/t400es

[edit] - and also these interlinked smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to get a head start if there's a problem.

https://www.x-sense.com/products/xp01-w-...8646250657

And this alternative to a fire extinguisher:

https://elementfire.com/

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

steve,

thank you from darlene and i and all of newellgurus for taking the time to make this video. well done, and timely

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thank you for all the kind words, all.  It's the least I could and, as usual, wished I could do more.

As to Halon, it's been banned by the EPA for decades, now.  "Supposedly", you can find some legacy extinguishers or (my guess) some gray market refilling.  Not worth it, IMO.  I'd look for a readily available replacement.  Yes, that "clean agent" will be more expensive.  They ARE, however, intended for tighter/smaller areas and, thus, can be smaller.  I like having one near the Kitchen (home and road) so that...if I need to hit something quickly, I'll have NO mess to clean up.

Auto-extinguishers are great for remote areas, like the Gen.  We have one on our 2015.  I love the idea of having engine compartments and, especially, sealed compartments protected.  In my "perfect"...and bankrupt...world, I'd install one in the Electric bay as well as the Engine.

I'm kinda shocked at that "Element" stick/flare type extinguisher.  I've not seen nor heard about.  My first thought was it's from Europe; they tend to do some wild and innovative stuff over there that takes a long time to reach the US.  I'd like to look into it a bit further.  I'm glad it's non-toxic, but being a firefighter, I'd hate to have it be a one-time full discharge.  In my entire career and beyond, I have NEVER dumped an extinguisher all at once.  The best method, for any extinguisher is to hit the base quickly, and evaluate the effect.  IF you're on the right spot, you may be done, and have a ton of extinguisher left for another area or, worse, re-igntion...which happens a LOT.  So, having a "one and done" extinguisher wouldn't be my first choice. 

I'm NOT a fan of the Proteng fire-weenies, as I call them, at this stage.  I have YET to see a REAL-WORLD demo in an OPEN engine compartment with a HUGE Diesel engine on fire.  Every demo I've seen has been small, confined, and VERY localized in terms of having those thing mounted right over the fire source.  Not entirely possible.  I see they're now making them almost as long as you want.  But, frankly, last time I heard of their price, I said "no way, I'd rather install a tried and proven auto-extinguisher system WITH muiltiple heads."

For an open compartment, like an engine, nothing beats FAST attack with LOTS of agent.  Period.
However, people have been led astray by sales pitches as to the efficacy of a system in which you have NOT accounted for cutting off the supply of fuel (diesel pump) AND energy (battery).

For smoke detectors, really just the First Alerts are just fine and stupid cheap.  I have NEST detectors that I've used on coaches, but are now in my home.  They're fantastic for remote monitoring and can be tied into ALEXA for even further benefits; even calling the fire department or alarm company when an alarm is heard!

I need to stop here, it's late, and I'm rambling on a roll.  As you can tell, I have many thoughts and opinions, and I just don't want people to get the wrong info.

Thank you, again, for the support.  Feel free to contact me for any more help.
Steve

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Thanks Steve - there's nothing better than advice based on real experience.

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry