You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Back of coach dropped

Hi my Newell guru friends
I need some advice please
I parked my coach after picking it up 3 weeks ago
I had started it since parking 3 times and idled for while to build up air every time since I opened slides and closed them ( to see do I still have a problem with the slide that did not want to open on the first night on our way from TX) - Praise the Lord after walking thru it with a Newell Slide Tech it worked great - no problem opening and closing again.

When I started the coach the dash indicator showed  the pressure was somewhere around between 80 - 90 ( assume PSI) 

After idling 5 min or so it always goes up to 120 

This past weekend I reversed it out of the garage to wash and had the engine off and the generator running for 8 hours while washing ( was long big wash?).

But to get to why I am writing - after the wash  I started the coach up again aired up and parked back in garage

So this past week I have been polishing the wheels one a day since Monday - another serious long job ??

I worked my way around to coach the last 4 days and today back at the the passenger back drive wheel 
Sitting down I suddenly realize the coach has squatted down in the back ( was so shocked that I did not fully take note if  the coached only sagged in the back but I seem to recall the coach looked level) 
The back of the underside looked like it was few inches off from touching and was down to the point that the inside arch ( foam like material ) was touching the top of the tire.

I immediately started the coach and raised it up to ride height.

I had the coach idle for 20 min and switched it off
I then took my Amprobe ULD 400  Ultrasonic  leak detector ( thanks to Steve Vance you tube video) and used the parabola piece and held it all over under the coach, but could not detect any hissing sound or leak sound ( trust I used the tool correctly) 

I also took it to the driver side basement section in front of the front wheel and listened to all tubes and pipes and things that look like it might channel air through - no leaks or sounds from the instrument 

I also opened the material around the coach air door mechanism to listen if there is a leak ( when I picked up the coach the seller / dealer said he order some part since he is under the impression there is a leak but it had not arrived and we needed to get going. 

I detected no leak sound with the very directional pipe fitting to the Amprobe 

So if you guys can maybe suggest some solutions or things I should check I would appreciate it very much. 

At least I was warned their migjt be a learning curve ???

Manuel and Kathy
2018 - P50 - Newell - #1624
CUMMINS ISX 600
2021- Jeep Wrangler -Sahara Unlimited

In auto level depending on the grade difference between front and rear it is normal for my coach to sometimes sit very low in the rear. It shocked me a bit the first time I saw it with my C15 oil pan 3” off the ground. Now it just seem normal when parked in auto level on a nose low slope.

Jeff and Emily Full timer lineman
2006 45’ #764  Cat C15 625
Vacaville California

Manuel, like you I was convinced the ultrasonic leak detector was going to be the holy grail for finding air leaks. The reality, I haven't found a single leak yet with my ultrasonic leak detector. There are some great threads on this site for finding and fixing air leaks, along with how to make tools to facilitate your search.

I also feel that with a little effort we could make the maintenance a whole lot easier. As Richard has suggested, a manifold to isolate all the systems. In addition to that, sensors to monitor all the individual systems. I'm not trying to go into detail that I know nothing about, but CAN bus is being used in lots of automation for manufacturing. Think of a TPMS monitoring air pressure on all 18 wheels of a semi. The individual sensors can't be that pricy and a program to monitor them full time can't be that complicated.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Manual,
95% of all air leaks I have found on my coach and others have been found without going under the coach.  I always start at the basement compartment where the 110V air compressor is located and work my way around the coach.  I check every air fitting, air dryer, shut off valves, air tanks, air solenoid valves, etc.  Any where there is air, you need to check it.  If you don't find any leaks with your ultrasonic leak detector, then it is time to use other tools.  Try reading this:

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=2705

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thank you everyone for the advice
I spoke to Newell and went like you suggested Steve and found 5 places where that leak detector showed leaks
Mostly in the back and one at one of of the drive wheels air cushion / bag.
Unfortunately I lack the knowledge presently to know how to replace all these fittings
But what I also discovered is just a few days before the coach dropped I thought it would be a great idea to switch the small compressors in the drivers side front bay from the one with over a 1800 hrs to the one with only 160 hrs

I now believe that my idea of saving the compressors wit the most hours might have been faulty and that is why the switch was set to the other compressor - since the previous owner maybe knew it needs service and does not perform as it should.

So now that I switched back to the higher hours compressor the compressor kicks on every 2 hrs for approx 20 seconds but seems to keep the bags inflated to some extent

It seems to save the coach from dropping too much. I am monitoring it closely but think I will need to start the engine at minimum once a week to fully fill the bags.

Jon I also agree with you and Richard. Having following the guru forum it seems like the air leaks for sure is something Newell can consider to build in those systems. The air leak problem seems like a pretty common problem with Newell coaches and reading how so many replace the push on fittings with some higher quality fittings ( and I dont know the precise name some of you mentioned)

I think it for sure can not be so much more in manufacturing cost to put those higher quality fitting on from the get go.
If any of the management of Newell reads this I am sure many owners of these high end coaches would appreciate it. (Hint hint)

It will make that one would hopefully not have these air-leaks occur so quickly. I love my coach but having it for only 3 months and discovering the amount of air-leaks I seemed to have identified - is a bit disappointing. 

It seems like I will now need to get to a service provider to have this solved. Time to get to Miami or FL is the challenge - since I am not retired and am still the cook and bottle washer in my small business.
 ( sounds like might have found a closer alternative in the previously known Golden Gate / Gait - bought by RV One Superstore in Charlotte area).

Now I read enough beforehand that air leaks is somewhat unavoidable- but one would like to believe that there are some pretty obvious design and manufacturing solutions that can truly remove this challenge.

I am sure the average person who purchase these coaches new, would not have a problem paying more to nearly have these air leak problems reduced to an absolute minimum.

It also will give those who buy a used Newell a lot more peace of mind that they might nearly never experience such challenges.

Know for sure I don’t have any regrets buying our coach - spent hours polishing chrome wheels chrome bays chrome mirrors and chrome trim in every basement bay and polishing out 90% of light branch scratches on the Girard awnings - so no I love this spaceship ( description from a fellow newell- guru).

Manuel and Kathy
CUMMINS ISX 600

My crystal ball says……..

When you get the bill for a tech replacing those fittings at $140 an hour you will become more motivated to learn how to do it.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Manuel,

If you can thread a nut onto a bolt, you can fix air leaks and replace fittings. The replacement is that easy. Finding them is tougher, especially the small ones.

Air leaks are an elephant on every air system. Eat them one bite at a time.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

I will for sure learn how - @$140 p/hr is highly motivating??

Manuel and Kathy
CUMMINS ISX 600

Richard Wrote:When you get the bill for a tech replacing those fittings at $140 an hour you will become more motivated to learn how to do it.

I drove my newly purchased 701 to a repair shop 2 days ago due to air leak(s) and the coach leans to the curbside. Their tech rate is $175/h.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control