You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

adjusting opening and closing speeds on bode air entrance door

i changed the mac valve out on the bode air door today hoping it would fix my problem. i did learn about how to adjust the opening and closing speed/rate on the air entrance door

on the mac valve there are two set screws. they are pilot screws to adjust the airflow. the top one as you look at the valve in the unit is the open and the bottom is the close. counterclockwise is faster and clockwise is slower. it takes a little playing with but i got it where i want it.

it is best to start with them most of the way clockwise so the door doesnt slam open and close if you put a new valve in.

then back them off a turn or two and check and repeat.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Yet another place to examine.

We were going from Austin to Miami to have a slide seal replaced. In far nowhere OK, we stopped for lunch and happened to notice our hitch (we tow a twenty foot car trailer) pointing down about 30 degrees. Didn't seem safe to drag the trailer, so we called for assistance. A guy came out with a welding rig. We discovered the hitch is attached to the Coach by two bolts at each end and an L shaped bracket in the middle. The bracket is bolted to the coach and welded to the hitch. We found that the L vertical had failed horizontally due to metal fatigue and over time had caused the welds to fail on the L and on one of the 45 degree support. This allowed the tongue weight (about 425 pounds depending on the odd bicycle) actually bend the hitch bar. The welder replaced the 1/8 inch thick steel L with 3/8 inch steel and did new welds every where on the hitch. After some bending the hitch is now correctly oriented and stronger than ever.

Wouldn't have ever looked at the hitch attachments that closely before.

Another item for the once a year checklist.

Phil & Judy Horton
Coach 470 and a twenty foot car trailer
Currently at Newell

Scary ! when things can happen so quickly.
I just spoke with couple from MI at teh camground since they had welder warking on their Newmar ( Mountain Aire ) they said that they about to loose their car when husband noticed at the rest stop ( thank God ) that hitch is cracked all over!

They also noticed that they had too, only 2 bolts holding the hitch's frame , he alos said thet another 2 Newmar owwners he met in Alaska had same problem! scary how those rigs go trough inspection!!!!

BTW, he checked some newer Newmars at teh factory and they all have standard 4 bolts on the frames.

I have to get under and see what we got going!

Thanks for heads up !!!

Les

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

(04-05-2013, 07:09 PM)encantotom Wrote:  i changed the mac valve out on the bode air door today hoping it would fix my problem.  i did learn about how to adjust the opening and closing speed/rate on the air entrance door

on the mac valve there are two set screws.  they are pilot screws to adjust the airflow.  the top one as you look at the valve in the unit is the open and the bottom is the close.  counterclockwise is faster and clockwise is slower.  it takes a little playing with but i got it where i want it.  

it is best to start with them most of the way clockwise so the door doesnt slam open and close if you put a new valve in.  

then back them off a turn or two and check and repeat.

tom

Tom, my Bode door seems to be closing at a reasonable speed, but the front end of the door does not always come in flat, causing the door to not close fully, or sometimes pop close after binding. If I am on the outside of the coach,and I put 1 finger on the forward edge with just light pressure the door closes flat and slides up to locked position just fine. Do you know how to adjust this? I am thinking the small rod on the top of the door?
Thanks
Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

i will go out and look at mine this afternoon.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I know this is a really old thread, but it is like watching a movie and loosing electricity 10 min from the end.

I need to adjust my door and have the same scenario as Mike. What is the answer. Sped adjustment or rod adjustment?

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry