You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Storage amenities

Our coach is 45' with two slides on the drivers side.  Due to lot set backs could not go any larger.  The RV portion is 18' wide x 60' long and 16' inside ceiling height. with sewer, water and 50 amp service.  Installed two 14 x 14 garage doors for cross flow ventilation (must have when running engine generator or Aquahot).  Lighting is on the side walls to illuminate the sides of the coach as overhead lighting would be useless.  Would highly recommend a floor drain we did not install one as a grease trap would be required for the discharge, we should have bit the bullet and installed one.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

I've seen Steve's garage and it is a great size that allows him to work on it without having to squeeze by when all slides, bays, and engine compartment is open. Also a great idea to have the lights on the sides.
So IMO the question is does your friend want to provide just a storage or a place to also have the slides open and be able to work on whatever is needed? But the contract would have to have something to specify what type of work is performed. Would he allow an engine overhaul? Or just oil changes, routine maintenance, or just cleaning?
It sounds like he has the opportunity to provide a really nice storage that will appeal to high end coach owners.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

The idea is just storage. I don’t think he will want people doing maintenance other than very light stuff like checking fluid levels and airing tires. In the past it seems like some people don’t respect the area and leave used oil and make a mess and the floor and parking lot gets trashed. I do understand the desire to open the slides when in storage and it makes it easier to load and get ready for trips.

I’m not sure how he plans to make any money doing this. My guess is over $1m will be spent to get the first 5 buildings completed. I never paid to store my 5th wheels.

Gotcha on the respect. Spoke with a manager at a small rest area about the dump station and he said they had to close several lately because people dumped used motor oil in the dump. Oh, just remembered a story about a local small trucking company. It seemed when he did oil changes they just let the oil run into the ground. Bit him when the area flooded and was under water for a week or so. Can you say oil slick? Cost him a bunch to get it cleaned it up.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Gets cold in the winter here, many of the repair shops have oil-burning furnaces they use. Almost all the auto parts places will recycle your used oil for free. Nobody but the recycle center at the dump will take your oil if it's contaminated with antifreeze.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad