You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Alternator Smash Sleeve Replacement

So do to my engine ac locking up I have been driving the Newell without my engine belt for a bit.  But then without any tension on the alternator the mounting bolts worked loose.  I caught the problem before the alternator fell off.  I was at the shop and they said I need a "smash sleeve".  It goes on one end of the pivot bolt.  They can't get me one without getting me a new alternator.  It appears to me to be just a bushing that fits around the bolt and one end of the alternator mounting bracket.

So can I just use a bushing or do I need to get this special smash sleeve?  My alternator is a Penntex 3S285 and I'll contact them if I need it.

Doug and Cathy Musick
Coach 370
1994, 45', non-slide
DD60, Allison 741

Doug, good to hear from you! Pics would help and and explanation of what the sleeve does and why it is needed. Is this a Penn tex part or a detroit part?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

It appears to be a shouldered bushing. If you could get the specs from Penntex it should be easy to find.

[Image: 299-p328s_3.jpg]

https://www.mcmaster.com/shoulder-bushings/

You may also need a generic alternator spacer, available at any auto parts store.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Jon, I think that is what it is.  I have the alternator bolted back in place for now so I can't get a good pic.  It is only on the alternator mounting leg closest to the wire the wired end of the alternator.

Doug and Cathy Musick
Coach 370
1994, 45', non-slide
DD60, Allison 741

You need it so you don't break one of the mounting ears. Another thing to check is the engine mount for the alternator. Over time the hole hogs out which necessitates replacement. Call PennTex for the sleeve.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Ours wore out as well, noticed it was lose in the Yukon, and used some washers to get the proper spacing and tightened it up between the mounting ears. Has not loosened up since then about a year ago and to be honest sort of forgot about it till you brought it up! I might be doing the same and contacting penntex for the proper sleeve.

Jesse & Sara White
2001 Newell 582
Wasilla Alaska

I think Penntex is out of business.  Every number I found is out of service and one web page says permanently closed.  Now I'll measure and order a bushing from McMaster

Doug and Cathy Musick
Coach 370
1994, 45', non-slide
DD60, Allison 741

if you have any issues measuring it, i would just go to a local heavy truck alternator repair shop. there is one in phoenix that has done a number of them for my friends and i. they also do turbos. i am sure they would have one.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH