You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air bag Replacement

I have a 1994 Newell and wonder what an estimated cost to change out my old air bags.  Just an approximation per air bag would be great if anyone knows? 

Thanks,
Jerry

i have done airbags on an 84, 99, 02. i am not sure how many bags are on your front axle.

i would say depending on your airbag, (which can run from 125 to 250 bucks each), that 2 hours labor for each one might be a guestimate. so if you have 8 bags and each one cost 200 bucks each plus 300 labor each, that would be 4k. so say i am wrong and each bag is 150 and can be done in an hour, you are at 2400 bucks. plus shop expenses, any new fittings (i usually put new fittings on and airlines if easy enough) i assume most shops are at least 150 an hour now.

it is why i like to do it myself if at all possible. if you have the single airbag front IFS, there are a few tricks to getting the bag on and off. that learning time for those as with all the others takes some time as well. those front IFS bags are closer to 250 each and only avail from newell.

so.....it aint cheap.

pretty broad ranges....2k to over 4k with bags. depending on what airbags you have, what shop rate you get charged and if there are any problems.and maybe the shop can get the hang of it and get the bags done faster than 2 hours each.

i looked on the foreforum and they said that they had shops that could do all 8 bags in 4 hours. different rig for sure. but another data point. so 4 hours at 150 plus average of 175 per bag to buy is 225 per bag for just a little under 2k. i wouldnt count on that for ours.

enough scenarios. you get the gist.

if you were at shop mccloud, assuming visiting, lunches, trips to get parts and more visiting.....it would be a 2 day job. ha

and a rzr sxs ride or two

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

If you are at casa McCloud, you haven’t even met the neighbor dogs, ridden the razor in the arroyos, watched sharknado movies, or eaten at Tom’s favorite hamburger joint in the first two days. Triple all his estimates……………just sayin.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Shop McCloud needs an East coast annex... just sayin'

Smile

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Shop McCloud is about the only thing about air bag changing that sounds fun. I did my steer and tag on 458 which were not too bad. Had the drive bags been in stock I think they may have kicked my butt.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Foretravels are built different, for one the side panels easily come off allowing great access to the outboard mounted airbags.    

And another vote for the friendliest Newell shop in existence.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I think I may need to visit Shop McCloud. Sounds like a dreamy place! My airbags were changed but they didn't do anything with the airlines. I dunno, maybe I am overthinking it but I hate 30 year old hardened rubber under the bus. Same with fuel lines. it's not so much not being able to do it, but much like going to the Gym. Always better with a friend for motivation...

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Shop McCoud is associated with Camp McCloud, a very reasonably priced ($0 ) 50 amp full hook up campground. The Razor rides are tons of fun, along with a neat Traeger smoker, and fellowship with the nicest folks ever. My wife suffers from a quilting addiction, and got her quilting "fix" from our time there.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Thanks for the information, this sounds close to the estimate I was given. Jerry

I wish McCloud would get his mobile repair truck back on the road.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.