You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coach low at left rear

Got under the coach today to have a look. The tag bag is a Firestone brand. All the tag appear in good condition,Recently replaced. My question is where to put a shutoff valve to isolate the system. I could easily install one on the tag bag. The drive axle bags have the large -16 hoses on them, I could put a valve on each one but it would take some creative plumbing. I could change all the plastic hoses maybe put a valve at the feed from the 6 pack to the main tank. Any suggestions as to what is the most likely offender would be awesome. Just like always thanks to Richard for all the help.

Thanks
David Augspurger

Rolleyes David Augspurger #596 2001

Let’s start by putting the shutoff valve right at the six pack. As you look at the front of the six pack, the air line feeding the left will be at the upper left on the rear of the six pack. The lines feeding the bags are the two at the rear ward, the two at the front next to the bulkhead are coming from the height control valves. The big (usually blue) line coming in the side of the six pack manifold is air to raise the suspension when in level mode.

By putting the shutoff valve between the six pack and the bag system you will determine if the leak is in the six pack or in the bag system.

If it’s in the bag system it could be a number of things: air fittings, the tanks themselves, the air bags, the up and down three way valves on the tag system.

The next thing I would do is isolate the tag bag, only because it is the easiest thing to do.

Isolation after that becomes a bit trickier and will require adding some JIC fittings for those huge hoses that you referenced.

Let’s start with easy and simple.

I am not going to speculate on an offender unless the drive bags look newer and they are Goodyears. If they are I am going to refer you to the Goodyear air bag burping thread.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Did you make a leakdown tester as shown in this great post by Steve Bare? http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=2705
If so you could insert this anywhere there is a fitting and use that valve to isolate the system. Or just use a valve with fittings if you just want to isolate, though the gauges let you know what is happening on each side of the valve.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Went to the coach this morning and it didn't leak off at all. Still sitting just like I left it at noon yesterday. The only thing I did was jacked it up so I could get under it and cycled the tag dump and full air pressure valves. Maybe I need slime in the tag bag? I put a valve at the exit of the 6 pack and it still leaked. I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks
David

David,

In this exchange, I am missing something. What focuses you on the tag bag? I am asking because tag and drive bags are pneumatically tied together after the six pack. If anything leaks in that system, they all will lose air.

I know it’s redneck engineering, but that’s my superpower. We have been sitting for three weeks at Glacier. The coach has not shifted at all, and I think you know I slimed my Goodyear bags because they would not completely seal at the bottom.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

If cycling up & down fixed the problem, it sounds like maybe a piece of debris was hung up in solenoid valve seat. Maybe rust or teflon tape.

Jacked up the coach to get under it and take a look. When I let it back down it was slightly above ride height the next morning it was still at the same height Made a trip to canopy oaks campground over the weekend.( Very nice by the way) and the coach stayed at ride height all weekend. Got home Sunday about noon and by 7pm it was sitting on the ground left rear. I noticed that the ride height was maybe 1/2 inch lower than usual when I parked it after the trip. . So last night I jacked the coach up again and let it get up on the airbags. This morning it has not moved at all. Does this mean I probably have a bag that is leaking when the coach is slightly lower. Ordered some tire slime. Will give that a try. As always thanks to Richard for all the help I am slowly learning how it works.
David

Removed the tag bag on 596 today. Put it in a bucket a pressured it up leaking in a couple of spots. The coach would stay on the bags at some ride heights and other times it would be on the ground in a few hours. Hopefully this solves my problem. It needed to be changed.
Thanks
David