You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Detroit Diesel Series 60 Engine/Allison 6 speed operating parameters

Hi all,

lets help each other and newbies with what are the operating parameters for our engines and trannys. once we get a kinda consensus and list of things and ranges, i will collate the data into a single post. no warranties implied, use data at your own risk, etc.....just our combined experience.

please add as you want, what you want to know and what you do know

also if you are referring to the gauges or the vmspc (ddec)

Engine Temp
Oil Temp
Trans Temp
Oil Pressure
Turbo PSI
RPM's

Also how to operate the Allison tranny optimally. the modes and how to check fluids via the keypad.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Just thought I would post some of the operating parameters of my series 60 on a 78 degree day in hilly conditions. All of these are taken from my VMS as many of the gauges are unreliable.

Engine Temp--192 to 195 degrees
Oil Temp--187 degrees
Trans Temp--189 to 192 degrees
Oil Pressure--48 to 50 lbs
Battery voltage--13.9 to 14.1 volts

The "mode" button changes the shift pattern of the transmission. I have experimented with it over a ten year period and have seen no benefit and no performance difference.

This pdf will explain using your keypad to check the Allison transmission fluid procedure. Go to page 19 for most of our keypads.
http://www.allisontransmission.com/servl...3360EN.pdf

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, that is good information on what to expect. I am interested in what alarm settings you put into your VMS.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Misunderstood what was being asked for. I have set up no alarm settings on the VMS as I monitor the readings regularly.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

From our recent trip to the Rally in coach 512,
Speed 70 mph Ambient Temp 85 Readings taken from VMS
Coolant Temp 196 to 204
Oil Temp 197
Oil Pressure 52
Max boost 24 (I am not happy with this, looking into it and will report after new air filter and CAC pressure check)
Trans Temp 214

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )