You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Detroit Diesel 6v92 Engine/Allison 5 speed operating parameters

Hi all,

lets help each other and newbies with what are the operating parameters for our engines and trannys. once we get a kinda consensus and list of things and ranges, i will collate the data into a single post. no warranties implied, use data at your own risk, etc.....just our combined experience.

please add as you want, what you want to know and what you do know

also if you are referring to the gauges or the vmspc (ddec)

Engine Temp
Oil Temp
Trans Temp
Oil Pressure
Turbo PSI
RPM's

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I haven't run into a 6V92 in a Newell that was anything but a completely mechanical engine. No DDEC...all analogue gauges, no computer readout. Maximum rpm's is 2100.

The following readings are based on 60 mph, a flat road, and analogue gauges:

Engine temp - 182-4
Oil temp - 180, or less
Tranny temp - 150, or less....this really depends a lot on outside temperatures in my case
Oil pressure - 60
Turbo PSI - no gauge, or reading available
RPM's - 1800

I have a five speed Allison Transmission. On the flat I just let it shift through the five gears.....1st gear shifts to 2nd at 15 mph; 2nd shifts to 3rd at 25 mph; 3rd shifts to 4th at 45 mph, and 4th shifts to 5th at 55 mph. When climbing I manually down shift as the speed decreases to a gear I can hold at 1900-2000 rpm's. This actually keeps the engine temp from rising as quickly, or as high. If I wait for the transmission to down shift at the various shift points it actually will grind down lower before shifting down. By that I mean if the speed is coming down from 60 on a climb it will not down shift until 52....I manually downshift at 55....you don't lose as much momentum this way.

I started using Howe's diesel conditioner about a month ago and have found several things.....the engine runs cooler by 2, or 3 degrees, I have more power on the flat and climbing. Before on a 6% uphill grade I had a hard time holding 35 mph, which meant I usually had to shift down to 2nd. Now I can hold 40-42 comfortably in 3rd gear. The temp used to climb gradually up to close to 200, but now hovers around 190 on these long climbs. Don't know about mileage yet....haven't driven far enough to get an accurate measurement.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

thanks clarke. do you use the howes meaner power or the howes diesel treat?

tom

Howe's diesel treatment/conditioner. I have been really skeptical about using any kind of additive, but after reading the various posts a few weeks back by other who have used them, and their experiences I decided to check it out. I added it when I filled up the tank in Melbourne, FL after my fueling error. Since then the engine runs noticeably cooler, and I have more power. For my 180 gallon tank it takes 1 quart to treat that many gallons. It comes in 1/2 gallon bottles, so one bottle per 360 gallons. Not bad....

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

i read the their web site. the two products are Diesel Treat and Meaner Cleaner. i was just wondering which one of the 2 you were using. but i am going to try the meaner cleaner. i dont need cold weather anti-gel.

tom

RE: Detroit Diesel 6v92 Engine/Allison 5 speed operating parameters

tom, sounds like Clarke was describing our DD 6V92TA. Allison MT654CR 5-speed auto...can't add a thing. Thanks Clarke you save me a lot of typing.

Ki and Wyn Punilei
"Have Newell Will Travel"
'81 Newell "Winter Demo", 40', 6V92TA
'11 Honda CR-V
"Squeak the Feline Princess"

Engine temp - 182-4
Oil temp - 180, or less
Tranny temp - 150, or less....this really depends a lot on outside temperatures in my case
Oil pressure - 160
Turbo PSI - no gauge, or reading available
RPM's - 1800

I would humbly suggest that Clarke meant to say 60 psi - oil pressure not 160.
Smile[/quote]

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

From our recent trip to the Rally in coach 512,
Speed 70 mph Ambient Temp 85
Coolant Temp 196 to 204
Oil Temp 197
Oil Pressure 52
Max boost 24 (I am not happy with this, looking into it and will report after new air filter and CAC pressure check)
Trans Temp 214

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )