You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Stuck on I40w - limped to rest area

Looks like the pump spindle/shaft very dry and dirty, no sign of grease observed here.
Lack of lubricantion and foreign object contamination?

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

I think that this mechanical failure on an "RV" will fall into the same category that causes so many other issues...LACK OF USE AND MAINTENANCE.

Lack of use is pretty easy to define, and understand. Take tires, for example; it's been scientifically proven that rubber detoriates when it is sitting still...the molecules don't get excited and seize up (layman's terms LOL). Kinda like our body "Use it, or Lose it" analogy.

As for "maintenance", I think us guys can get a little "emotional" or even "offended" when someone would say, "well, it's becuase your rig isn't being maintained properly". But, myself included, I think we can all agree that there is a LOT of stuff we just DON'T KNOW about in terms of proper maintenance...let alone, WHAT needs to be maintained.

Finally...trucks, compared to our Newells, are SOO MUCH SIMPLER!!! Plus, when it's your livelihood that depends on that machine rolling, you might take maintenance a bit more seriously. And, don't forget, a lot of these trucks go into a professional mechanic who is extremely well versed at just what to do.

So, when it comes to this spline failing...it could very well have been something that was on a lube schedule. Heck, on some of these items, there may even be a "replacement schedule" that none of us are aware of.

And THAT...is what makes owning these mechanical works of art a bit of an adventure (to put it in a positive tone).

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

And while cleaning my engine bay, I found a grease nipple for the belt driven radiator fan. It was hidden under gook. Gook no more provides for clarity!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Final Update: After the guys at Camden TN CAT replaced the pump and gear assembly (shipped overnight by Morgan at Newell) we were able to get back on the road to Miami OK for some work items on the coach and a much anticipated factory tour (the factory tour was excellent and I would highly recommend it to all owners or perspective owners). Our final destination was to the Pawhuska area for Angi to visit the Pioneer Woman Ranch... it was a beautiful area and a great trip. Now that we have the accessory drive pump fixed we are looking forward to our trip to the Smoky Mountains in September and New Hampshire in October.  Thank you again to Richard and other gurus that helped us keep our wits about us during a stressful start to our first real trip in the coach. The Guru community is such a valuable resource as we all learn how to get the most out of these great machines. Attached is a picture of the new pump... it is a more compact unit and is black in color vs. the original blue Eaton Pump. I plan to check and grease the splines each year since it can be removed without disconnecting the hydraulic lines. Safe Travels... Paul         

Paul and Angi
Addie and Scout (our GSP pups)
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad

Glad you got it all taken care of. Not much you could have done once that failed.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Nice "Action Shot" at your campsite Paul.

Thanks for documenting your issue and the fix.

Safe Travels while Making Memories

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile