You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Low air chime

So this never worked in my coach. Low air light flashes (now that I installed new LED indicators on the dash along with flashing module to get my attention) and the chime is very low volume. When I put my volt tester to check for power to the chime, I get 12.6v and then the chime wakes up to full audible capacity. Not sure why my tester (Typical Automotive probe type with awl style poker) Should I put in a resistor there? I thought I was told the owner had something done to quiet them down. I can't remember.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I made a little headway. At first I thought the ground was lost at the chime. When I added a ground, the chime came to life and the "Leveling" light became brighter and now matches the rest of the indicator lumens on the dash. (Before adding the ground wire, the leveling light was half bright.) That all said, once the coach airs up, the chime never shuts off. I also noticed the green travel led on the HWH keypad no longer lights up. Strange. Prior to this, there were many indicator lamps that were burned out. I have replaced them with new LED to fit the same holes. I do not have a baseline on whether the leveling light was constantly on prior. At this point if I do not figure out what is going on, I will cut the new ground wire I installed and be without the chime. On a good note, I added a much brighter LED for the low air indicator as well as a module to flash the light to get my attention. Did that for the "stop engine" and a slower flash rate for the "Check engine" indicators. I have three chimes but none do anything except the TV antenna which is now removed and replaced with a WingGard. If it's not one thing, it's another. Poor coach was just never really given the attention it needed.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

A wee bit of insight, the HWH computer makes a ground to turn on the leveling light. So when you added a ground, you will get the light on all the time. I don’t know exactly how your coach is wired relative to that with regard to the chimes but you know why the light is on all the time now.

I would make sure the chimes are for low air………………….I cannot prove this, put just saying neither of the Newells I have owned chimed for low air.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I had a mystery chime that turned out to be the diff lock being on. Since the lamp was burnt out I never knew what it was. Until I asked!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Thanks for the insight Richard. I will check that by removing my added ground. I used to drive OTR some 30 years ago. I had a buzzer and light for low air. There are three chimes that are all black taped together to form a cluster of 3. I believe one was for the TV antenna being left up, another for the HWH and not sure if the third is for key chime. I looked at my owners manual which suggests there is a ignition chime. Somewhere I was told the previous owner had something serviced which in turn silenced the "annoying" chimes. I tried the diff lock but it did not send any sounds. The switch for it lights up when on. I still like the idea of a low air warning and may just wire in an audible signal to the low air light circuit. Perhaps the same for the stop engine circuit.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I disconnected my makeshift ground to the chime. Now when I start the coach, the leveling light remains on and the chime is at 1/4 volume. When I press the "Air" button, the chime becomes loud and I get four LED corner indicators on the HWH pad. Never had that before. Turning the touch pad "off", the chime stays on a low volume and the Leveling indicator remains lit unless I turn the key off. Keep in mind I replaced all dash indicators with LED replacements. My next move will be to add a 1/4 watt inline resistor the the LED level indicator and report from there. I remember when I first bought the coach the chime was on a low volume but eventually never came on. Not sure if the burned out Leveling indicator had something to do with it? Never worked when I bought it as it is.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Putting in a 1/4 watt 47 ohm resistor to mimic the incandescent indicator on the leveling lamp did not help any. (Swapped to LED indicator) It remains on all the time and the HWH chime still sounds off at a lower volume. I may have a shop look at it as this seems to be above my pay grade. I did download the HWH service manual and will read through it. Wondering why Newell adds a dashboard light for Leveling.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

At both of the six packs you will find pressure sensors. At the rear six pack is a sensor that makes or breaks at about 60 psi IIRC. Those sensors go bad. Newell’s solution is to unplug them.

HWH put them there to keep the chassis from going flat on the air bags and possibly twisting too much.

If that sensor in the rear is kaput you will get the leveling light.

That light is there to tell you that you don’t have enough air pressure to drive away.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Wow, thank you Richard! I will take a delve into that. Are these universal 60psi trigger air sensors?

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Universal yes,but see if you can find the pressure on yours. It may not be 60

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad