You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

vacuum pump for slide airbags

steve bare,

while you are at newell, can you find out how the vacuum pumps are plumbed in to suck the air out of the slide airbags so you can post it?

i assume they use the standard 12v ford vacuum pump like i put in my 90.

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I'll try and find out. I asked about them & was told they were unnecessary normally.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,

I was told that they are standard equipment on all new Newells. If I remember correctly, Creslie Clark in service told me this.

When you consider the cost of changing an air bladder (especially a front slide bladder) the $100 investment for a vacuum pump seems trival. I wouldn't own a slide coach without a vacuum pump on each slide.

Sorry I can't be of more help on how they are plumbed, my coach is parked at Motorhomes of Texas so I can't take any pictures. However, if I rermember correctly the vacuum pump is plumbed in line after the solenoid.

Hope this helps Smile

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

I spoke with Creslie about the vacuum pumps for the slide seals. He stated that they have installed them on two HWH slide coaches--of which one was Tuga's. They use the same vacuum pump that is used up front on the dash heater & air. They plumb it in by the solenoid and wire it to come on with the slide key. He stated on both the coaches the need was caused by very close clearances between the slide, body & seal. He stated most coaches do not have this issue and only recommends adding the pumps if a problem is encountered. He further stated that the number one maintenance thing that owners can do is keep the slide surfaces well waxed! No silicones or other lubricant products.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, by slide surfaces, are you referring to the ones you see at the bottom of the slide, or are there other surfaces to be waxed?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Top, bottom and both sides-front & rear. Outside makes the coach look better, but has nothing to do with the seal.Smile

Tuga,
When I was talking to Creslie we were only discussing HWH slide coaches. Sounds like Valid slide coaches do use a vacuum pump.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

They installed one on my #2 room probably 2 years ago after I rolled 2 or 3 seals. Its mounted in the compartment in front of the engine and every time the slide key is on it kicks on.

Steve, You forgot to say that you also waxed the bottom of your bus! But that is probably only for cosmetic purposes! Smile

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

And he polishes the floor of his bus shop so you can see the reflection. Wink

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I just returned from the Mother Ship, I had a problem with the bottom of the seal rolling up and out. They first tried to shim the glide strip with 3 .010 shims on each side. This helped, but where the seal had been twisted it seemed to have raised spots. We decided to try the pump. Sorry but I didn't take any pictures, but Tracy had a picture that they had taken on an earlier installation. It was placed under the bed in the hole where you adjust the slide. There are lines for air and 12V. A word of warning, when the light comes on to tell you the room is ready to move, it's really not ready, you need to wait a couple of minutes to be sure it's had time to flatten the seal. So far it's working great. As a footnote to this post I learned a very good trick in replacing the seals when they roll up and come out, it's much easier than the stick and windex or baby powder method after jacking the bottom of the slide up. I don't know what the unit numbers are covered, but I think it's the ones that use the HWH system. OK it's back under the bed again. Remove the cover where you can make the adjustment for the slides where you can make it stop at the correct place so it's smooth for travel. There is a bolt about 3 inches long that is the adjustment for the amount of travel, If your slide is nice and smooth on the outside, DO NOT ADJUST THE BOLT, remove the screws from the base. Now you must be careful because there is no stop, but you can bring the room in about an inch or so and this is enough room to glue the seal back or place it back in the groove. Someone had repaired mine with some glue that cured out to be very hard, this made it very hard to remove so it would fit back into the groove. Again I'm sorry I didn't think to take pictures.

Bob & Peg Standeford
1999 Newell #516 Series 60 DD 2 Slides
2004 Saturn Wagon