You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

air suspension issues

Earlier you had mentioned that you "hit" the travel button after you start the coach. On ours, when I start the coach I go into travel mode automatically without having to select travel mode. Have you checked the connector on the back of the HWH control panel? May want to try disconnecting and reconnecting that plug, if you haven't already, just for grins.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

HWH Manual may help, attached

Attached Files
.pdf HWH Ride Height Manual-We have Valid.pdf Size: 334.86 KB  Downloads: 10

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

OK, let’s go back to square one. Sometimes it is hard to convey every thing you have discovered into a forum post. If you will allow me to methodically proceed against a checklist in order to help you.

When you put the coach into travel mode:
Do you get a green light on the HWH panel?
Are the travel solenoids energized? Check with steel washer for magnetism or unplug and check for voltage.
Have you checked the previously replaced fuse on the travel circuit?
In travel mode, are any of the other raise or lower solenoids energized?
When you say you hear the valves cycling, are you talking about the height control valve, the 6 pack solenoid valve, or the air dryer purge valve?

Unplug the raise and lower solenoids (marking them of course for reinstallation). Does the behavior of the travel mode change?

If you will answer these questions, we can move to the next step in the diagnosis.

Call me if you like 817 223 2056. We are not hiking today, and any activity I can do sitting down is welcome ?

A couple of more things that may help you.

I urge you to look through this handbook. https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml20635.pdf

It shows you how the ride height valves are plumbed relative to the six pack. I make this point because you have stated that you are well familiar with air bag suspension systems, but there is one point that has really fouled up many mechanics on this system because it is different from what they know. The six pack is BETWEEN the HCV and the air bags. The HCV has it’s own air supply, and ONLY when the travel solenoids on the six pack are open does the air from the HCV reach the air bags.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard sorry just getting back to you. . THANK YOU.. This thing is wearing me out.

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides
Detroit Diesel  series 60   turned up to 745 hp  

Richard , I want to thank you for your help walking me thru this extensive air issue I was having on this Newell. I have finally figured it out and if it was not for you experience, Im not so sure I would Hve. Again Thank you. Look forward to talking to you again.

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides

Great News. When you have time, share what you found if you don’t mind. Others may learn from your experience.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

So the issue we found after extensive troubleshooting was.....
on the back of the rear six pack where the air line comes in, there is a small one way check valve in line right at the block where the pressure sensor lives. took out the check valve and BAM.  Coach works as It should. I took the six pack off, soaked in b12 for a few day, cleaned it all up. Rebuilt all solonoids ( thanks Tom). Bench tested system with 120psi and a good 12 v source. So at this time I think is all good unless, well lets just leave it to that.  Now if I can just get that rear slide to operate.

Thanks again everyone, Im sure this is a common issue from what I have been reading

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides

(11-04-2022, 06:54 AM)rvguy Wrote:  So the issue we found after extensive troubleshooting was.....
on the back of the rear six pack where the air line comes in, there is a small one way check valve in line right at the block where the pressure sensor lives. took out the check valve and BAM.  Coach works as It should. I took the six pack off, soaked in b12 for a few day, cleaned it all up. Rebuilt all solonoids ( thanks Tom). Bench tested system with 120psi and a good 12 v source. So at this time I think is all good unless, well lets just leave it to that.  Now if I can just get that rear slide to operate.

Thanks again everyone, Im sure this is a common issue from what I have been reading

Did you remove and eliminate the check valve for good, or did you replace it with a new one?
I tried to understand your solution (although I haven't encountered problems like yours). 
I looked to see if I also have such a check valve on my 701, but I didn't find it. 
A photo picture showing its shape and location would be helpful to understand your solution.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Once again back to problems with the air system . I am in the process of replacing all height control valves and making sure there are no other issues in the air system. Changing all hcv over to the KOTR valves as described by Richard and after talking to Rob at Dayton. I will advise when we come to a complete repair of our findings.
Im finding after talking to people on this forum as well as people at Newell, I dont think any 2 of these coaches were or are built the same. JMO
But we will figure this out. Again will advise when repair is completed ( first off its gonna have to stop raining )

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides