You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New shocks for a 2001

We have just completed our first long trip in our coach, almost two months and over 6K miles. While I am happy to say that the coach ran great with no mechanical issues, I did notice a lot of what I would call side to side sway on some roads and believe that new shocks would help. What shocks would any of you recommend?
Dario Perini
#581  2001 45'8"

Following. TIA

Dario,

I have used both Koni and the highly exalted Road King shocks. Honestly, I cannot say the Road King shocks were an improvement.

First of all, on side to side tippy, do you have sway bars front and rear? If you do, how do the bushings look? Shocks are not going to effect tippy nearly as much as sway bars. Mine only had a front sway when I bought it, but installing a rear bar made a huge difference in tippy behavior.

So, the logical question is which model of Koni. You can use the search engine to find the ones I used for the rear. BUT, the front shock is discontinued by Koni, and I do not know what the replacement is.

EDIT: I have a little more time right now, but this is still a great exercise. The search engine is picky. If you will use the AND operative in all caps, it will help narrow the search. For example if you typed koni rear shocks into the search engine you will get every post that has the work koni or the word rear or the word shocks in it. That is too much to plow through. However if you will type koni AND rear AND shocks into the search engine you will find three or four posts with the info you seek. I hope this helps.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(11-27-2022, 09:37 AM)Richard Wrote:  Dario,

I have used both Koni and the highly exalted Road King shocks. Honestly, I cannot say the Road King shocks were an improvement.

First of all, on side to side tippy, do you have sway bars front and rear? If you do, how do the bushings look? Shocks are not going to effect tippy nearly as much as sway bars. Mine only had a front sway when I bought it, but installing a rear bar made a huge difference in tippy behavior.

So, the logical question is which model of Koni. You can use the search engine to find the ones I used for the rear. BUT, the front shock is discontinued by Koni, and I do not know what the replacement is.

EDIT: I have a little more time right now, but this is still a great exercise. The search engine is picky. If you will use the AND operative in all caps, it will help narrow the search. For example if you typed koni rear shocks into the search engine you will get every post that has the work koni or the word rear or the word shocks in it. That is too much to plow through. However if you will type koni AND rear AND shocks into the search engine you will find three or four posts with the info you seek.  I hope this helps.

Richard,
I found about 5 of the front shocks "90-1710SP3" on E-Bay. Part # X5810292 they are in the UK. $150. I believe it's free shipping.
Mark

Mark & Beverly Fincke
99 Newell Show Coach, # 527 (Heavy Metal)
Twin Slides, Rear Bath
08 Saturn Vue XR  SUV Toad

99 Escalade ESV.

That’s good news!

Thanks Mark.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )