You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bode Door sticking coach 1429

We have 1429 and it appears the Bode door is sticking when trying to open.  I have full AUX air.....  I don't see any grease fitting so was wondering if there was anything else to look at.  Thanks for your comments and/or suggestions!

Todd Franklin
Lodi CA 
2011 Newell Coach #1429

hi todd, i also responded via fb messenger.

i can only tell you some of the things i have had. once in a while, my door will whoosh open part way and stop. along with that is a rush of air coming from the mac valve that controls the air going into the cylinder. if i hit the button again and close the door and then cycle it again i will open normally. in my case, it is the small mac valve on the cylinder.

my coach was initially a race hospitality coach. so the door got used alot. i have rebuilt the cylinder and replaced one of the two microswitches that caused some issues as well. i have also replaced the mac valve (mac is the brand) and some of the fittings and tubing (they are metric btw).

if the door is not making any air noises when it opens part way, it must be electrical.

i buy my parts from bode directly as they tend to be cheaper thann newell and the engineers/tech people there are hlepful as well.

along with richards help, we changed the outside rubber seal on the door itself last year. much more difficult than expected in cuttting all the holes and slots for the latches and locking shims.

my guess is the reason you are not getting many comments is that i suspect most have not worked on the door. they are pretty reliable.

there is also an adjustment on how fast the door opens and closes.

if you do a search on the forum, you will find some of these things.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

It would help to get a full description of exactly what it is doing, sticking is a description that needs more information to help us understand what is happening.

The door is electrically controlled and pneumatically operated.  The Bode manual is antiquated and is not easy to read, it looks like a 1950's manual.  The pneumatic control valve in mine is a 5/2-Way double solenoid vs the one Bode shows is a single solenoid.  I would expect 1429 is the same as 1482.  The bode manual calls for the door to be greased semi-annually, I doubt if they have ever been.

Tom gave some good information which may help.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Thanks for the replies! One asked for a bit more clarification on the 'sticking'. So the door will open about 4 inches and stop. A slight nudge by pushing in from the outside will free it and then it opens. No air sounds so I don't think anything is leaking from the air side. I think we have a binding issue and did get some lube onto the rotating shaft. We are still trying to find where there may be a grease fitting. We'll probably give a call to Bode in the next week or so. I have some other service with my local Newell in a couple weeks so he may have some ideas on the matter. I will continue to digest the manual and see what I come up with. It worked fine all weekend on our outing. Thanks!

Todd Franklin
Lodi CA 
2011 Newell Coach #1429

Hey Todd,

I checked my door spindle/shaft by removing the cover at the top and bottom. My "tactile memory" served me correctly; there are no grease fittings of any sort.

I saw a bit of lithium grease around the top and bottom collars. So, my conclusion is that Newell removes those during production, since it's kinda hard to put a leather wrap over a ZERK. My guess is they've put a cap screw into the hole...I saw one on the collar. I'll get better light next time, and go after it with...probably...a hex.

Otherwise, I saw no way to get grease onto that shaft.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Hey I really good luck talking to Henry at Newell with my door when it gave up working properly... I went through mine quite thoroughly and there were no zirks to grease..
-TJ

-TJ
2002 Foretravel U270, way easier to work on than my Newell 
2011 Newell Coach #1428, 3rd Owner, this thing is a mess, but I look cool.
2018 Toad Chevy Tahoe LT, DIY enabled flat tow, no help from the factory.
2016 Jeep Sahara-FOR SALE @ TED MILES JEEP Atascadero, CA < TOAD READY BLUE OX.

(03-04-2023, 08:27 PM)Dartinguphill Wrote:  Hey I really good luck talking to Henry at Newell with my door when it gave up working properly...  I went through mine quite thoroughly and there were no zirks to grease..
-TJ
Hey TJ.... We have the coach right after you! I think we've finally made some good headway with the coach after 2 trips to Newell.  The door is behaving for some time now.  I do have a new MAC valve from Bode but have not installed that yet.  As Steve mentioned in a post above, he noticed some plugs that he believes were changed out from zerks.  He squirted some grease in and hasn't noticed any problems.

Todd Franklin
Lodi CA 
2011 Newell Coach #1429

As long as we're keeping this thread alive...

The manuals for the BODE door recommend a pretty heavy "routine maintenance"; Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, and Semi-Annually! YIKES...I'm gonna go out on a limb, here, and say that I bet not a single Newell owner follows that aggressive of a schedule. However, I don't think we put our doors through the intensity of a mass-transit bus.

Sooo...

I do think that taking care of all of the seals with silicone is super important and try to do that monthly.

I'll pump some grease into that one port on the shaft annually.

Don't forget to lube the CATCHES!! AND CHECK ALL THE SCREWS!!! I had one that became loose and caused the door to not fully seat/lock; caused wind noise too!

If anyone wants to copy the maintenance schedule from BODE, here ya go:

ROUTINE MAINTENANCE
1. Daily
A. Check door function
B. Check operation of reversing system
C. Check function of outside key switch/ remote

2. Weekly
A. Verify function of emergency release system

3. Monthly
A. Check tightness of al adjustment and mounting hardware
B. Verify door panel alignment and cam lock engagement
C. In wintermonths, lubricate rubber seals with rubber lubricant or pure silicon spray
D. Apply non-staining grease to cam lock mating/contact surfaces

4. Quarterly
A. In non-winter months, lubricate rubber seals with rubber lubricant or pure silicon spray
B. On high usage door systems, grease spindle drive with chassis grease. (1 to 2 pumps from a hand grease gun)

5. Semi-annually
A. Grease spindle drive with chassis grease. (1 to 2 pumps from a hand grease gun)
B. Clean spindle drive switch area to removeaccumulated dirt and grease

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

(03-07-2023, 05:37 PM)CaptainGizmo Wrote:  As long as we're keeping this thread alive...

The manuals for the BODE door recommend a pretty heavy "routine maintenance"; Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, and Semi-Annually!  YIKES...I'm gonna go out on a limb, here, and say that I bet not a single Newell owner follows that aggressive of a schedule.  However, I don't think we put our doors through the intensity of a mass-transit bus.

Sooo...

I do think that taking care of all of the seals with silicone is super important and try to do that monthly.

I'll pump some grease into that one port on the shaft annually.

Don't forget to lube the CATCHES!!  AND CHECK ALL THE SCREWS!!!  I had one that became loose and caused the door to not fully seat/lock; caused wind noise too!

If anyone wants to copy the maintenance schedule from BODE, here ya go:

ROUTINE MAINTENANCE
1. Daily
  A. Check door function
  B. Check operation of reversing system
  C. Check function of outside key switch/ remote

2. Weekly
  A. Verify function of emergency release system

3. Monthly
  A. Check tightness of al adjustment and mounting hardware
  B. Verify door panel alignment and cam lock engagement
  C. In wintermonths, lubricate rubber seals with rubber lubricant or pure silicon spray
  D. Apply non-staining grease to cam lock mating/contact surfaces

4. Quarterly
  A. In non-winter months, lubricate rubber seals with rubber lubricant or pure silicon spray
  B. On high usage door systems, grease spindle drive with chassis grease. (1 to 2 pumps from a hand grease gun)

5. Semi-annually
  A. Grease spindle drive with chassis grease. (1 to 2 pumps from a hand grease gun)
  B. Clean spindle drive switch area to removeaccumulated dirt and grease
Great info as always Steve!  Thanks!

Todd Franklin
Lodi CA 
2011 Newell Coach #1429