You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide problem and coach will not shift into Drive

We have a 1997 Newell coach 465. Our living room slide had a major failure and will not retract all the way. The top is locked in with the pins but the bottom is slid out about 1 1/2 inches.

We have an appointment at Newell on Monday Aug 1 and we were all set to leave but transmission will not shift into reverse or drive.

We found the override switch in the silver HWH control box but when switched to override we still can
not move.

Does anyone know how to disconnect the interlock switch from the 4060 Allison Transmission or what to unplug or jumper on the HWH controls that will get us going?

Any help is appreciated.

Rick and Cindy Freeman

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465
Spending summers in Central Wisconsin and winters in Mesa, AZ.

On 653 with Valid slides, there is a switch that is hidden under the drivers side console. You have to get down low to see it…but does have a label on the wall. That switch allows you to move the coach (even with the slides out!!!).

I am not sure if your coach has a similar switch. The switch is a standard on-off toggle switch on the bottom side of the driver’s console (kinda under the transmission control panel).

Take a look and see.

Good luck!

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

You might try this. In the center of the slide, pull the ceiling tile. You should see the limit switch that makes when the slide is IN. Manually close that switch and see if the tranny will go into gear.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

We have all the insulation out under the slide and haven't found a limit switch. Is it on the top of the slide or the bottom where we would access from below? Can you be more specific where that is?

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465

We checked the voltage going through the override switch and it is not 12 volts when the switch is closed. Is it supposed to be 12 volts or over? The wires from the switch go into a 12 volt relay. The HWH book says that the override switch is wired to wire #155 on the transmission ECV. I talked to an Allison transmission mechanic and he said wire #155 is in the gray connector going into the TCM or ECU or ESM (whatever it is called for the transmission). Does anyone know where Newell may have mounted the TCM?
The wire is used as a General Purpose Input.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465

Bottom, in the exact center. Look up in the basement ceiling, very close to the outside frame of the coach. UH oh, my bad, you cannot see the switches with the room in, and I am guessing you are not wanting to put it back out.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )