You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Help Identifying Year and Model

If the engine is a Detroit two stroke there is also a possibility that one or more injectors are stuck , this in addition to the concerns Richard brought up . Sticking injectors can stop the fuel rack movement resulting in a "runaway " . This can result in a catastrophic engine failure . If you get to the point of starting it , do some preliminary checks and/or have a board or something handy to block off the air intake in case it "takes off " . 
The coach certainly looks good , hopefully it can be brought back to life with reasonable expenditure of time and $$ . 
Good Luck , 
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Runaway is actually my worst fear. I will do all the preliminary work (filters, fluid checks, etc) and then pay an experienced diesel tech of that particular engine to be on site when we go to start it. Thanks for this info.

IF it has a 6V92... https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=6860

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Y’all are starting to make me think I shouldn’t touch this thing but it’s in such good visible shape I don’t think I can walk away. I’ve come to realize I wouldn’t put a dime more than $20k in it all together vehicle plus parts. I don’t mind the time but darn, it’s 3 hours from me and it sounds like it will take me multiple trips to get her to wake up. I guess if I plan my trips with all my parts and a couple of hard working 60 year old uncles who have worked on pumps and motors all around the world I should be good. What would anyone on her offer $ as it sits?

I guess I will start a YouTube channel so I can entertain all of y’all.

If 20k is your max number, then the coach needs to be free. Seriously. My .02

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have 20k just in air bag/fuel hose replacement. Exterior appearances do not mean much. Previous owner put in 17k worth of repairs before I bought it. He rarely used the coach too.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Yep, I agree but in know shops charge Porsche labor rates to work on these things.

So I found out from My uncle that it’s a 1981 model and so I contacted Newell. Newell told me a little history on it. It was 1 of 2 made that year as a showcase coach for Newell and that it’s had 2 previous owners which I think makes my uncles father in law owner #3.

These older coaches are easy to work on, and not that expensive to maintain. Tires would be your first major expense. I have an '82 which I've owned for 14 years. My annual costs have not been that high. I replaced (myself) the shocks and air bags earlier this year, which were 40 years old. Cost was just over $2,000....labor was my own. I rebuilt my air system..... Cost about $400 for 12 MAC valves. The most expensive parts on your coach are the engine and transmission (6v92 about $25-30,000, tyranny- $10,000).

That the coach has been sitting for 20 years is a concern, but should not be a deal breaker. One of our members resurrected an '82 which had been sitting outside in Yuma, AZ for over 10 years unused with very little problem. Still running strong to this day. It also has the 6v92, as do I.

I would 'bar' the engine over (quite a few times) to move oil around the engine, then take oil, and ATF samples to a lab. If they check out OK, then I would try to start it. I've mentioned Bus Grease Monkey (YouTube) before. He has a number of good videos on how to start these old 2 stroke motors safely after sitting for years.

Call me at nine 5 one 2 three six 5 three one 2, if you want to talk.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I have an 84 in that exact color scheme. Our taillights are higher and our generator panel in front is different. My brother in law (Clarke Hockwald) on this site has an 82 that seems close to your photos. The VIN of course will tell the year. It should be just to the left of the door on the lower wall looking from the inside.

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
1984 Newell 35'  (Coach #58? - not confirmed)
6v92 TA Detroit Diesel, MT654 Allison 5 speed trans
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car