You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thanks for all your responses. We were going from Ohio to Michigan to Canada, the route was mostly flat, Since I can only do 50-55mph that assisted in my mpg I would guess. When I was on the twisty and hilly road in Canada we might go up a few hills at 30mph and I would shift down to 3rd. On the route home, I took the Toad off and that section of road was much easier to traverse.

The FC31 has a super short wheel base and made the 7 mile trek into the bush pretty easily, my aunt and uncles class C made it also. I am pretty sure airing up the bags on a 45' newell and going slow it could make it back to the camp site. They were doing construction while on a dam while we were camping and dump trucks kept driving on the road, which made it better on the way out.

This trip was out 2nd trip this year and made me really want a new coach. Mine is loud when driving, also I have to move stuff every night to get the kids ready for bed as we only have 2 beds and the girls have to sleep different directions on the same bed so we inflated a king coil on the floor, which made me move my recliner to the kitchen. The amount of stuff I have to move around everyday in my bus makes it really hard on me, its like a game of tetris inside.

I know it's not a Newell, but it should get you anywhere you want to go.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

This will get you there

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

yeayeaatou,

My previous coach was a 96 WB. If I had to guess, it would be exactly what you think you want. S60, 42’, no slides and a decent layout.

BUT, it was 10k # heavier than your FC. That is a lot of extra weight to drive down suspect road surfaces.

It got ~6.2 mpg if driven easily. The problem is that S60 will easily push her MUCH faster, so it’s tough to not run with traffic.

Without a slide and with a jackknife sofa (smaller than a fold out), you’d still need to move the recliner to have an air mattress on the floor.

It’s 10 ft longer. That’s a HUGE difference when maneuvering in tight areas.

That vintage of Bird did not have any on the fly adjustments to the air suspension. You’re either at ride height or all the way down. I’ve driven several LXi’s and do not remember those having anything other than that same air suspension either.

I will certainly say it is a much quieter ride than your FC.

I parked my WB in a nice flat park and drove my toad into the rough areas.

You’re FC may already be your perfect coach for what you currently are doing.

Just an fyi. Good luck!

06 M450LXi 3 slide

I have thought about keeping my unit and dropping in a 3208 turbo engine in and a rear gear in the back. I also know my limitations on time and the larger the project the harder it is for me to complete. This was just a one week trip, next year I know we will be going out west and the plan is 3-4 week trips. My current unit at 31' might work out great for that trip, but with 2 kids and the wife and me having to work remote, it might not have enough room.

I should just get an enclosed car hauler and haul the jeep that way, and then the car hauler can be my office.

Since you would be outfitting the trailer with home office stuff, can you borrow an idea from some of the toy haulers and install a bed(s) that lower from the ceiling? The kids could have their own space.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I could prob make that happen. I couldnt pull a 20' enclosed trailer with my jeep and my current unit. That would be asking a bit much.

I’m pretty sure there are a couple of threads on wog detailing the turbo conversion. I don’t remember anything about the gearing, but it’s there I’m sure.

Your 3208 will pull that trailer, but you’ll be able to mow the grass as you go.

I get the need to cover some ground, given you’re still working, kids are in school, etc. That 60 was great for that. Might you consider staying closer to home until the situation changes some? I rarely ventured more than 1 state away for years, just to not have to “drive like a maniac”. Most states have decent stuff to do within a short day’s drive.

The trailer idea is neat, but by the time you buy the trailer, outfit the inside, ac it and power it, you could buy that newer coach. The downside is the newer coach won’t handle the dirt roads well, as I said earlier.

I’d say decide where you want/need to go and buy the rig that will do that. Adjust everything to fit that.

The kids will have memories, no matter what you do!

06 M450LXi 3 slide

My kids are 5/6, I could wait till they are done with school. That seems to be the standard model to life. Work really hard, retire and attempt to enjoy stuff while your declining health forces you to go to the doctor and your energy to enjoy the out doors is limited. I was hoping to maximize my ability to work remote and see a majority of the National parks in the next 10 years prior to my kids leaving.

I talked to the wife about the turbo swap , she reminds me of the project car in the garage for the past 2 years, im putting a 90mm turbo on a 2L engine. She is not a fan of large modifications on things. I am not so much of a faber, rather repair and maintain the current items.

My wife is on board with a newer bus. I just wonder if units wont drop more in price due to demand dropping as sales in the industry are dropping fairly quickly. I also considered the units I am looking at have already taken a majority of the deprecation.

Getting actually into most NP’s requires your shorter coach. Otherwise, you park outside and toad in- which is how we’ve done it. Back to deciding whether it’s more important to stay inside the park or just going to the park is enough.

Unfortunately, there’s no right answer. Pick one and live with it! Lol

06 M450LXi 3 slide