You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Not yet a Newell owner

Hello all,

We are considering buying a Classic 1984 Newell Coach with a Cummins engine. I am currently awaiting a reply from Newell with more details.

All I have so far is the VIN and some pictures.

There are 3 window seals that leak. The coach has not been used since 2016 when it is said to have bee in perfectly working condition. The fuel is old and likely gone bad, so the engine does not stay running. I assume the fuel filter gets clogged. It will need fuel polishing, a fuel system cleaning, the water leaks repaired, and a good exterior wash and detail. The interior looks very nice and clean, except for the minor water damage.

Unfortunately the coach is about a thousand miles away in Louisiana. Hopefully we can find someone for a PPI and if it checks out we will travel there to look at it.

H Henning Bote
Found 1984 Classic Newell Coach we are considering buying

the gang here can be a big help.

there will be lots of hidden work and costs so be prepared.

it will need new tires to start. and batteries.

keep us up to date on your adventure. i love the look of that year.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thank you for the warm welcome. We're familiar with the time and cost requirements of an older diesel pusher and we assume a Newell will be higher cost, but also higher reward in terms of comfort and quality.

It will definitely be a project, but skimming through the forum here, we am confident we would enjoy it. Unless someone else snags it up before we have the chance to.

H Henning Bote
Found 1984 Classic Newell Coach we are considering buying

You've definitely found the most informative forum for Newell coaches. I first learned about Newells in the 90's. There was a very informative article about motorhome chassis that mentioned Newell by name, in a very favorable way. Based on that information I bought a 1973 Newell, now I won't consider most other brands.

Michael Day is our resident Newell historian, but I'll add some insight on the Cummins engines used in that era Newells, Both sizes are V8s, 555 ci (9.1 L) and 903 ci (14.8 L). The T designates turbo, a V 555 is normally aspirated and a VT 555 has a turbo.

Certain things to keep in mind, our Newell chassis are made with Class 8 truck parts, designed to go over a million miles, and Newell is still in business and gives us 24/7 support.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Where is it in Louisiana, I'm in West Monroe?

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Let’s see those pictures!