You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Service pit

This is a progress of the pit. Rebar is all welded together and epoxied to the existing 6" slab. Final concrete will go in next week. This bit took a whole truck. Floor in pit is 6" deep with 16" deep mono footers with rebar. Cavities between block wall and dirt will be concreted in with a finer rock which is why the delay. My guy does this on the side from his primary Mason job. (The pic makes the work look messy, but it is actually smooth, clean, straight and beautiful! I had washed it out after I took the pic. Concrete is still green as is the mortar on the block. All of this went in between yesterday and this morning.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Now that’s the Newell overkill way !!!!!

Welding the rebar instead of using wire wrap. I love it.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard! I may not be Newell proficient as I'd like to be, but my backyard engineering usually results in overkilled projects! I am debating on another ring of rebar at the outer/ upper perimeter of the concrete capping.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Since I have an admirer of overkill, I decided to take advantage of really cool weather and weld in some more steel this morning. The only thing that remains for me to do is to wire up the thin 12v LED up-lights. The rest is up to the concrete guy.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Perhaps consider opening a service center with a specialty in Newell Coaches?

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Awesome job!

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

More concrete today. Bolts are welded in for the 4" tire guard rail and steps at the back. This took 5 yards of concrete to fill! My father in law enjoyed the process and volunteered as air pocket removal guy with a 2x4.

Removed the forms today and installed the ladder. Steel guards and heavy mesh are almost ready to be cut and installed. I am using Por15 gray chassis/equipment paint for the rails. Might get the expanded metal covers powder coated when they are cut, welded and fit. Fire extinguisher will go in when pit is complete.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Service pit is mostly done. I need to dress a few welds and then off to powder coat. I made 4 covers each 48" long which weigh in about 40 lbs a piece. They are easy to pick up as the expanded metal is 3/4" openings and 1/8" thick. It holds my 160lb weight fine with very little flex if any.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Very well done.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Have you installed camera mounts so Steve can do some videos yet?

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad