You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Valid Slide Seal Plumbing #1482

Jim,

Nice to know your experiment worked! Sometimes all of this clean living pays off.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

(01-14-2023, 10:30 AM)Parisjet Wrote:  I remember 40 years ago purchasing a kit where you could make o-rings from lengths of "Buna-N-rubber cord. It had a precise cutter and a V block to ensure that the ends were lined up correctly. There was a special glue Cyanoacrylate adhesive.  Those orings were so tough that you couldn't pull them apart.

I just looked it up and they still sell that kit at NAPA Part #: BK 7701018 Line: Balkamp or on Amazon Loctite 112 O-ring making kit which comes with a cleaning solvent and Locktite 404 glue

Now in my thinking, if you can make o rings from rubber rope material, why cant it work to repair a split in the slide seal?

Loctite 404 442-46551 0.333oz Quick Set Instant Adhesive, Clear Color  $38 on Amazon
L
I'll be looking at that.  The big problem is access.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

One year since my rubber cement slide seal repair & NO leaks!  Angel

Jim

You are on a roll Jim! The air holding steady for almost 24hours makes you king in my book!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

So………..

I had some extra slide seal left over from replacing the bedroom slide. I used the same Loctite as above and butt spliced two pieces together. That was last year. I chucked one end in the vise and pulled as hard as a could with pliers on the other end. I could not pull it apart or even cause a visible failure.

I left it in the Florida sun all summer while we traveled to see if UV would impact the glue.. I tried the vise/pliers exercise again when we returned. Again, I could not pull it apart. I also flexed it back and forth to see if the butt joint would open. It held fast.

I am impressed with this Loctite’s ability to weld rubber together.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Found a few more small leaks. After 29 hours the pressure is at 116 PSI so it's possible I'll wake up in the morning with the compressor still not ready to cycle. Doesn't take much to excite me!

Jim