You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Using smoke to find air leaks

I was at a friend's auto shop today and he suggested using a smoker to find air leaks.  He's used it in other applications at his shop to great success.  Has anyone tried this?
Is there a downside to trying it?

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

On the air system, or to detect air leakage inside the coach?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

On the air system to detect leaks.

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

I like the tried and true soapy bubbles for initial detection, then breaking the system down to smaller sections and testing with a gauge for losses. It's probably safe to use smoke, but is it? Introducing anything but dry air, smoke maybe dry enough, could be a concern.

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

I'm just thinking if there really is not downside it would potentially make things sooo much easier. But surely I am not the first one to think of this...which is why I ask the question. :-)

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

David, I think what you will find is that any smoke introduced is going to settle out of the aerosol long before it makes it through a leak that you can’t find with soap.

I had the bright idea once of pumping the air system up with R-134 and using my refrigerant leak detector to sniff around. Didn’t work at all.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

OK thanks...I knew I couldn't have been the only one thinking along these lines.

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry