You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

basement two piece air conditioners

Dear Fellow Newell owners, this affects any owner having two piece (basement) AC units.  Our coach is # 277, and we just had three failed AC units.  The fans had quit.

WW Grainger sells 1/6 hp fans and mounting brackets that with a bit of welding to modify the brackets work great.  Anyway, after the fan repairs, two units quit again.  What I found was the copper tubing had shifted and rubbed.  All the R-22 freon was gone!

There are two fixes after repairing the holes in the copper tubing with silver solder.  Make a block (I used wood) and clamp tubing to prevent chafing.  Two, use HiTemp RTV (red color) good for 500° and separate the tubing coils and ensure they are supported to remain separate and not rubbing.

Even the screen protecting the compressor can rub through the copper tubing QUICKLY!!!!  I have pictures, but seem to post them here. These units used R-22. Newell now used R-422B. Feel free to call or write if you wish more information. 

deg ([email protected])

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)