You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator no start

Keith I was thinking when did they start letting all them young'uns in....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Much like the classic car industry, the young'ins are going to take on the passed torch and keep the marks alive. Same with RV's, buses, coaches or whatever people want to call them. Too many of those young'ins don't want to drive but instead use their phones to have an uber driver take them to where they want to go. It's a sad state of affairs. We must guide them off their devices and pick up wrenches and screw drivers Smile

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I did a little probing around and found when I crank the generator from the compartment switch, I do not get power at the solenoid as tested with a volt meter at the white wire of the plug coming from the relay. I did put in a new relay and there is power going to the relay

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Some of the generators use a make to ground to close circuits. So…….if that is the case, the relay may not be wired correctly. Just making you aware of that possibility.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

It will start randomly and other times I need to hold the fuel rack in while cranking to get it to run. Nothing in that area appears tampered with. There is a ground wire from the relay that is well grounded.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

This is a perfect example of why pictures are so important In diagnosis!  Simon, you have an older two wire solenoid.  There aren’t two coils in your solenoid, sorry I assumed you had a three wire solenoid.

When power is applied to the white wire in your picture, the coil should pull in and stay in.  If it doesn’t, clean the slug (as I call it) and use a dry lube.   If that doesn’t work, call Martin Diesel parts with your engine model number and buy a new one.

You mention that it is intermittent.  If testing doesn’t provide consistent results and cleaning doesn’t help either, try a pilot lamp temporarily tied to the white wire to verify you have consistent power being applied every time.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Great point from Gordon using a light bulb. I've had a few instances where 12 volt power tested good but when a load was put on the voltage dropped down to where whatever component wouldn't work properly. It was usually a wiring problem either ground or power. Sometimes it was a bad connector (bad crimp) or a broken wire. Just another area to look for.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thanks Gordon. The solenoid is new and ordered from Martin. I do not get any power on the white wire to the coil The + power wire (Thick black wire on terminal 86) has constant power. I did replace the relay as well.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

86 should have power when the start switch is depressed.
30 should have power all the time

So if 86 and 30 have power, but no power going to solenoid, then the relay is not working as intended.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you are saying.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Solenoid pulls in when I apply power from hot black to white going to solenoid. Relay is not getting power signal to close coil

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312