You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Darn leaky engine

I thought my oil leak was limited to an oil pan gasket but as I was looking at battery wiring up and over the alternator area, I noticed a sizable leak at the rear of the engine going down the bell housing. I did cinch down the two bolts for the power steering pump but they didn't appear to be that "loose" to cause a leak of that size. For those of you with a 8v92 anything you could shed some light on for me? That area of the engine seems to have a thick caked on layer of greasy dirt. Maybe my almost 6k of high speed mileage exacerbated an already existing issue? I am a believer that all engines can be leak minimized. Overall the topside of this engine is very clean and dry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I had a leak in that area with my 93 coach that involved the tach drive just above, a bit forward of the power steering pump, and in the valley on the inside of the rocker cover.. it was a contortionist’s dream to see it.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Thanks Jon! Yeah, I was a bit disappointed when I removed the bed thinking I could unscrew the base and get access to the engine. Not the case. Area is built sealed off.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Been there done that. No interior access to the engine on the 8V92's of the early nineties.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

In your quest to locate leaks, don't forget that you are dealing gaskets that have been in service for nearly 30 years.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Yep, and I will chase them down! I did find an oil cooler leak that was the result of two loose bolts. I believe these leaks have always been there due to the caked on buildup of greasy dirt.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Forty weight clay .  
As stated before , gaskets and seals .

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Someone (not me ) cut out a section of the bed base for engine access on our '86 . They did a pretty good job of it,  fits snugly and held down with screws . Not sure I would have cut it out , but it gives good access to the top of the engine . Alternator , compressor , covers over unused drives , etc are all possibilities for leaks . Pdf service and parts  manuals are available online . If you don't already have manuals I recommend getting them to get a better picture of the engine's layout. 
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand