You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

8V92 Coolant Filter?

my coach is running a little bit hotter than normal. I have to admit I haven't cleaned the radiator yet and this weekend will happen but I was also thinking that this could be because of the coolant being too old? I've never had any issues with the exitisting coolant but I don't know if I have to replenish SCA's or if my coach even has an SCA filter for coolant. I have to take a close look this weekend for this but if anybody knows this from the top of their head it will be highly appreciated if you can tell me if I should look for such a filter or not.

Also, I have no idea what coolant my coach has so I was going to do a complete flush and refill and I was in between SCA coolant and OAT coolant for an 8V92 should I have any preference? I have several bottles of SCA already so I was inclined to buy more of those and do the refill but I can also buy the Final Charge one and replace it with that one if it is better.

Thanks for any help on this.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

Both style coolants are ethylene glycol. It is the additive package that is different. The advantage that the OAT has over SCA is not having to check and adjust SCA levels.

Neither has a cooling advantage. Old coolant will not directly cause cooling issues. However scaling inside the radiator associated with lack of coolant attention, use of water containing minerals, or corrosion due to depletion of anti corrosives can contribute to lack of cooling.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Perfect, thank you so much for the information. Also are you aware if classic coaches have a coolant filter in them? I've read several other threads and they talk about adding SCA filter for the additives. I'm guessing that if I go with an OAT coolant I should also change the filter to be something else, correct?

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

When I had the radiator , thermostats,  etc off I found no filter anywhere. 
My fan belts were in really bad condition,  check your belts while cleaning the radiator. 
I use Final Charge coolant. 
I also added a Max Tow digital / analog temperature gauge,retaining the original temperature gauge and sensor .
I find that the original gauge indicates higher temperature than the Max Tow .
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Might be the coolant & radiator are fine & the fan belts just need a little more tension.

When my fan belts were loose, the coolant temps went higher than usual.
Sometimes, when loose, you could hear them 'bark' when raping the throttle.

If you can turn the fan by hand - they are too loose. . .

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

(10-13-2022, 02:26 PM)Tf175 Wrote:  When I had the radiator , thermostats,  etc off I found no filter anywhere. 
My fan belts were in really bad condition,  check your belts while cleaning the radiator. 
I use Final Charge coolant. 
I also added a Max Tow digital / analog temperature gauge,retaining the original temperature gauge and sensor .
I find that the original gauge indicates higher temperature than the Max Tow .
Chris

Great info, thank you so much for that.
I cleaned the radiator yesterday, I used steam and some dawn to remove any grease that could be in there. It was still in pretty good shape from my last time I did it (annually)

I didn't know about that gauge, thanks for sharing that info!. I used another analog to digital conversion gauge to monitor the temps, it only went 5 degrees higher but I don't want that to keep climbing so I just wanted to make sure everything was OK before it is an issue. 

Fan belts still going strong, I checked the three of them and the looked good and no slack.

(10-14-2022, 07:17 PM)kyleb Wrote:  Might be the coolant & radiator are fine & the fan belts just need a little more tension.

When my fan belts were loose, the coolant temps went higher than usual.
Sometimes, when loose, you could hear them 'bark' when raping the throttle.

If you can turn the fan by hand - they are too loose. . .

When I use the steamer on the radiator I couldn't move the fan by hand at all but I didn't try to force it enough to check that, that is a good check I will need to do. Thanks for that pointer!

Is not a big change but I'm super concerned with temp increases with my 8V92 to shorten his life or completely make it useless and go the re-power road.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

I recently meet a guy who not only works on the 2 strokes but loves them. His personally owns a Kenworth with a 8v92 in it. Soon I'm going to have him give mine a tune-up, adjust the valves and injectors. He wanted me to get 1/2 Gallon of Napa Kool and add it to protect the cooling system which I have. It's a little strong when you read the directions on the bottle but he has forgotten more about these things than I know so I did what he said.

1992 Coach 295
8V92 DDEC II