You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Main salon slide rebuild

FedEx says the parts from Newell (HWH locking pin and bushing) are lost and file a claim, I went to everyone of my neighbors (we all live in the country) they haven't seen the package so I just used a little thought and built this for the stripped out bushing, it works perfect. Also greased up all the joints of the pop up floor and its very smooth now. I guess I wait till slide seal is done before reinstalling the pop up floor. We have very strong winds for the next 2 days so I guess next week will be my time to replace seal. I've decided to use my forklift, its 80 years old but still works like it should. I bought a cheap torque multiplier from amazon and took off the front tire and removed the hatch which only had one screw holding it, I can tell someone has been in there recently but I removed the nut to the hydraulic ram and put the tire back on then strapped the slide out to the coach frame for safety till I can get it slid out.

Here is the finished hole in roof repair, this is just one side but they are the same, the paint isn't perfect match but its on the roof so no one will see. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H99Y556?psc...ct_details

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

which bay was the rear ram nut in?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

It was underneath the panel of the passenger side front tire. I got worried about the wind so I put it back on temporarily. The other nut is in the passenger side compartment behind the door. I have not taking it off yet.

Gravette, Arkansas

Jack

There is a common problem with HWH front slides in that the upper or top of the slide begins to tilt inward over time. Some will eventually tilt inward to the point the locking pin misses the hole. Mine is currently in that situation, and I know of three more with the same issue.

While you have the entire support mechanism exposed, do you see any adjustment in the undercarriage that would allow the room tilt to be adjusted. I studied your photo intently, but did not come up with a conclusion.

Thanks.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

richard, i think we have talked about this. when tony had his coach here and we did the slide seal, we discovered the spacers on some of the bottom brackets holding the slide at the front had come out. and we think it caused the slide to be lower and then roll out his slide seal. with some fun, we were able to pry the slide up and put those spacers back in that raised it up a little. would putting thicker spacers in the back part of the slide push the top out to help with this? it has been too long since we did it so i dont remember how it was all set up.

hopefully jack can see something with it all apart now

tom

Good morning Tom and Richard, Its evident the locking pins are out of adjustment, one side protrudes and the other lags, I was hoping that the adjustment on the end of the ram will take care of this but but your saying that the top of the slide tilts inward toward the center of the coach? I will look today for any adjustment but I can't remember seeing any slide adjustments regarding to the tilt of the unit, it would have to be in the area of the floor that raises would it not? These slides seem to be a major problem, the wife said to weld them shut.  Big Grin Tell me areas you want pictures I will post them. I will say there is far less room between the coach and the slide on the bottom when extended than the top, this could have been part of the problem to start with, I will investigate.

Gravette, Arkansas

Yes the slide is tilting into the cabin of the coach at the top. As far as pictures, I just don’t know. I know about the ram adjustment, and the hard stop adjustment adjacent to the ram. When I play with that is moves the slide in or out. However, when the slide is adjusted flush at the lower half, the very top is a bit too far in.

Under the slide you will find 4 white bearing pads. Get new ones from HWH or Newell and replace them at this point. You will see that Newell used shims under the bearing pads to achieve the desired height of the slide out in the slide out opening.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Jack. After we talked and I sent you the pictures of those pads I saw this. I agree with Richard. Get 4 of the and replace them

Tom

I will call tomorrow and get them on order Thank you both!
My wife and I discussed it and we are going to remove the windows and the rest of the wood from the walls of the slide. We have heavy rain right now and water is coming from behind the walls on the bottom, it can't be coming from the holes which are patched it must be a seam between the wall and the roof or the windows. ???

Gravette, Arkansas

Yes to both.

Check the seam at the top of the slide. That is a frequent intrusion point.

I like this stuff for sealing the seam. https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/pr...etail/2005

Use a chisel blade on an oscillating tool and remove all the old sealant. That way you can get a nice thick radiused bead of the fresh stuff. I believe over time, that the thermal expansion of the outer wall in the sun vs the roof not in the sun causes a crack in that seam.

But there are other excellent products out there.

I will tell you one thing NOT to use. Do NOT use the Dicor sealing tape. Over time, the pressure of the air seal presses the adhesive out from under the tape, and it then sticks to the seal. It took most of the morning with 3M adhesive remover to help a fellow guru fix that issue.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad