You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Main salon slide rebuild

Major progress today, we drove to Newell picked up the new shims and another HWH locking pin, after the rain quit we removed all the plywood paneling on the inside of the slide and removed the Windows in order to reseal them. My wife and I have decided that all the windows in the coach will have to be resealed just to be safe. We noticed there's a stain on the awnings which indicates their extended to keep any kind of rain from going around the windows. Also I noticed holes in the bottom of the windows not sure if this is factory but most certainly the water accumulates inside the bottom of the window on the inside it drains down the wall. We've stripped the slide to the point to where I believe it only weighs 600 or 700 pounds at the most, tomorrow will be the day that we will use the forklift pull it out replace the seal and put it back. Surprisingly after removing the plywood there are several pieces that are in good condition and not rotted. We will keep the others to make patterns for the new material.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

one more gentle reminder. before you put the forklift under the slide and pull it gently out......remember to put the new seal around the slide. it would be easy to forget to do this and once the slide is supported, you cannot get the new seal on the slide.......

you have really stripped the slide so like you have said, it will be very light compared to having all the walls and furniture in it.

having done 3 seals, the hardest part is getting the bottom snapped in. in some places you can barely get your fingers in there and it takes some force to snap it in the plastic groove. we start at the bottom and work our way up to where you have the ability to stretch and pull the seal in the groove to make it fit. since it is flexible like a tire tube, if you dont keep a feel for where you are ending up on top you will have extra. so you have to push and pull to get it so it is fitting the entire way around.

having a few extra set of hands doing this is very helpful.

too bad you are not closer and can be in my shop with the slide cart.

i have had fun chatting with you on the phone. call tomorrow if you have any questions.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I woke up dreaming about forgetting to put the seal on first,  Big Grin I'm certain its going to be a long day, will take pictures and post them. Yes I wish we lived closer, sure could use your head and mussel.

Gravette, Arkansas

The new adhesive placed in the track will act as grease until it sets. That allows you to gently slide the gasket to even out the tension around the perimeter. Slide the room back in and inflate the seal for 24 hrs to allow the adhesive to cure

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Ok will do on the inflation of the seal. I have a problem with the bushings I bought at newell yesterday, they are screwed in on top and on the bottom under the slide. The ones on top I can drill and install but the ones under is a no go. I would have to completely remove the slide and components from the coach to drill and reinstall.

Gravette, Arkansas

Hang on. Someone may have screwed your bearings but that is not how they are designed. The two bosses on the bottom fit into holes in the support structure.

I have changed shim height simply by jacking up the room and picking the bearing straight up.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

my experience is the same as richards,

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Here are the ones on top as you can see they all have screws in them. I might be able to chisel the ones on the bottom out. Your thoughts?

Also there was not a seam in the old seal as I cannot find where it would have screwed into. I did not remove the old seal it was already removed when I bought the coach. But this piece here is not to be found.

Gravette, Arkansas

Having had a little experience at Tom's reinserting the seal, be sure the plastic receiver track for the seal is clear and notbent downwards anywhere. If so, you will have a lot of difficulty snapping the seal in place. On mine I had to break away some of the plastic to get the bead down and the glue to hold it in place. Otherwise she'll roll out on ya. A short breakaway of the plastic won't hurt.

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

We did not install the new seal today, after inspecting where the track for the seal goes on the bottom we seen there was quite a bit of rust and it was not looking like it was going work to inset the new seal. We pulled the track cleaned all the old epoxy off and rust and reglued with 3m 5200, day after tomorrow we will set the new seal make the proper adjustments and put it into place. This gives me 24 hours to figure out why the bushings are screwed rather than just sit in place. I had a few pieces of billet aluminum to wait to track down in place while the 5200 cures.

Gravette, Arkansas