You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Main salon slide rebuild

I haven’t seen those on the top. I have not disassemble to the level you have.

The ones on the bottom should easily pry out.

Is your new seal a contiguous loop? Or is it one long length?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Its continuous loop and looks to be long but that might change when its starts to be installed in the track. The slide skid pads on the bottom are screwed just as the top pads, this will make it near impossible to change unless I use a chisel and hammer them out. I wish I knew the story behind this.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Copy on the blocks attached.

This info may be old and not accurate today. It is/was my understanding that the front HWH slides were pretty standard in size and Newell stocked a one piece bladder for the seal. However, the rear slides were not nearly as standard so Newell’s approach was to use one size and cut it to length. That aluminum piece in the photo was used to seal the cut end.

Others may have a different and better understanding.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

richard and jack,

as far as i know and have seen, that front drivers side salon size have all been the same in that vintage. jack, i think you said you have the old seal. easy enough to compare sizes. in addition, if you put the length and height of your slide, i will measure mine this morning and compare. i will bet they are the same size. richard is right, they only stock one size seal and you cut and seal like we discussed on the phone for the other slides if they are smaller.

when we did tonys seal, because that plastic spacer had been out for some time on the bottom, as the slide slid over that area, it smashed about a foot long piece of that plastic track that the seal snaps in. we could have replaced the track, but instead made a decision to trim the bad piece so the seal would sit in it and used lots of adhesive in the area to keep the seal in. in talking to tony, that has worked for some time.

it takes some pretty strong thumbs and fingers to snap that seal in the track. so do your exercises.....ha

and like richard said more eloquently than i did, as you put the new seal in from the bottom working your way to the top, you will need to adjust and slide as you get to the top to have it all fit properly. so dont let the adhesive set totally as you do it.

i wish i was there to help.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

My salon slide drivers side is 165 1/4 long and
82 1/4 tall as measured on the outside edge to edge and top to bottom

Tom

After I finished getting the seal into the track, I thought that a screen roller with the V slot wheel might have been more helpful as opposed to a quarter inch slide tool that had been using. Nevertheless, one needs to be careful not to damage the seal. Hope this helps you or the next guy!

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

165 1/4 x 82 is my measurements.

Today is the day, I have to get this done and back in the coach before rain comes tomorrow. We will have to tape plastic over the windows as I haven't cut new plywood yet.

Drove to Newell yesterday for the piece that blew off when we had the blowout on the way home, they said it would take 6 weeks to make but only took a couple. After getting home it was nap time but my wife is the energizer bunny she put stain blocker on the back side of the plywood we are keeping and spent several hours with a heat gun and wire bush getting off all the old sealant tape they put on the windows, that stuff is crap. I think we will go back with silicon rubber but have to have the plywood up before we can do that as the inside frame is what holds it tight in the hole.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Same measurements as mine. Within my measurements accuracy

Have fun

Tom

When working with the seal glue, you may want to wear a good pair of gloves. I didn't in order to get a good feel for what I was doing (in the blind), but it took over a week to get that black crap off my hands. Even though my hands were "clean", Tom's wife, Darlene, wouldn't let me help dry the dishes. haha!
Tony

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

tony,

the stuff that newell sends with it is clear......i dont think we will use the black crap again.....ha

tom