You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Main salon slide rebuild

We made major progress yesterday but worked into the evening as we have sever weather tonight with heavy rains so we finished sealing the seam on the bedroom slide (the front is done) with 3m 5200 then I added a extra air connection at the tank with a pressure regulator and valve, till I can isolate the leaks I have we'll use the shop  5HP compressor and tank so the small 110 compressor doesn't wear itself out.    

Hooked up the seal to the deflate valve with Tom's idea of vacuum pump, this works fantastic.     I noticed that when the seal inflates to 15 psi it causes the roof of the slide to bulge in the center, I'll have to get that steal header back up today. We took out the furniture through the window while its out with our forklift Kathleen is going to remodel the main salon. Started putting the paneling back up as it has to be there for the windows to go back in, found out Kathleen painted the wrong side of 2 of the new panels but thats not a biggie after window are in she'll paint them.    

The pop up floor is finished and properly adjusted but I did it wrong the first time. I had thought that if all the 10 floor levers where the highest position angle when the ram was in the up position then I could put the floor back on top and it would work right, WRONG. You must install the floor and have all 10 levers (2 nuts each) installed but not tightened then as shown on the picture with the hydraulic ram in the extended position (floor up) you adjust the tie rod closest to the ram to get the levers at the angle in the picture. After that is done you make fine adjustments with the 5/16 bolts with slots in the end, then tighten the nut when done. PITA job.          

Half of my shop in on the kitchen counter top.  Big Grin    

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Amen on the toolbox explosion.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Floor is done, 3/4" advantech under 5/8" plywood, I cut the pieces so to  have easy access to the linkage involving the pop up floor in case something fails down the road, removing the whole floor will be easy from here on out.

Off to Lowes to find a suitable floor covering for the slide and some type of material to go under the windows, we are going to try and get by with the custom carpet from Newell on the pop up floor.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gravette, Arkansas

Major progress today first part of the ceiling is about to go in with the new plastic core aluminum panels. We were successful in saving the original naugahide they're a few small imperfections but far better than it was. Muffler jacks are fantastic!

Gravette, Arkansas

You had mentioned in post #51 about the slide seal bulge.  My slide frame had sagged enough that the hook would not engage properly....take a look at this thread...http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=5101 as to my fix.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

I’m doing just about the same as you but have taken forever to get it done… I have rebuilt the interior of our living room slide out and put new vinyl on the plywood I used (all 3/4” like the original - wish I had seen the hint about the sign material before I did mine. Are you going to be splitting your upper panels into several sections or will it end up all one piece? Mine came out as one big 14 foot panel and will be going (hopefully) back in the same way. I have been very busy the last many, many months working on our home so the coach has been happily sitting in its fully enclosed storage bay waiting for me to come work on it… hopefully I can get it done before Christmas!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Steve I followed your post and re-drilled the steel header and used 1/4x2.5" self tapping screws, its not going to bulge now. The only reason it bulged before is the header was out.

Adrian I have no choice but get this pig finished, its parked in front of my shop and garages. Smile We should be done by this Sunday.

We split it into 2 pieces just like the factory did BUT if I could go back I would have made 2 pieces 29x80" rather than what the factory did which was 29x96" and 29x64". I used the old rotted roof as a starting point, scribed the holes where the lights go then drilled them out, made a clamp to hold the decorative plastic pieces to the sign board and built out from there.

Gravette, Arkansas

Yes sir that's not going anywhere:-)....looks rocks solid....great job!

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

We are done for the day.

Gravette, Arkansas

Looks great!