You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

AC Overload

Hi All. I’m not the smartest when it comes to electrical, inverter etc. 
My 05 coach has had the 2 Thomas compressors replaced with 1 Makita compressor on the 110 side. The plug is always hot because the switch inside on the panel doesn’t do anything (thinking about it now might be where wire nuts are on wires hanging down?) 
When I am on battery power, if the compressor kicks on and my water pump at the same time it kicks my inverter to AC overload. If I turn one off it will reset and be happy again. From what I can tell on my silverleaf panel the Makita pulls around 10 amps. I bought a smaller unit to try to see if it changed anything but no difference. 
My batteries are 7 months old. I’ve run the generator all the time while I’ve been dry camping but with cooler temps coming wouldn’t mind not having too. 
Any ideas where to start? Thanks or

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(10-17-2022, 07:27 PM)afrench Wrote:  Hi All. I’m not the smartest when it comes to electrical, inverter etc. 
My 05 coach has had the 2 Thomas compressors replaced with 1 Makita compressor on the 110 side. The plug is always hot because the switch inside on the panel doesn’t do anything (thinking about it now might be where wire nuts are on wires hanging down?) 
When I am on battery power, if the compressor kicks on and my water pump at the same time it kicks my inverter to AC overload. If I turn one off it will reset and be happy again. From what I can tell on my silverleaf panel the Makita pulls around 10 amps. I bought a smaller unit to try to see if it changed anything but no difference. 
My batteries are 7 months old. I’ve run the generator all the time while I’ve been dry camping but with cooler temps coming wouldn’t mind not having too. 
Any ideas where to start? Thanks or

What's the capacity of your inverter? Maker and Model? 
My 2004 701 coach has a Xentrex Freedom SW-3012, which was replaced by Marc Newman in 2017 (I have his old coach), it's capacity: 3000W 
In your case, 10-amps drawn by a single compressor over 110VAC equals 1100W. If both compressors running, that's 2200W power consumption.
If the water pump has a similar draw, these 3 devices running simultaneously will reach a 3300W power assumption.
Then you might have other stuff running too, such as the dashboard, TV, etc then it's not a surprise to me to get an overload warning.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

The water pump is a HUGE amp draw when it starts. If we are running the microwave, the bride knows not to turn on the water.

A work around for us when boondocking is to turn the 120 v water pump off, and use the 12 v water pump. You may not have that option on a later model coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )