You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Power Steering Failure C15

My power steering failed on a trip from Dallas to Phoenix last week. The coach number is 1217 with a C15 Caterpillar. I pull a stacker trailer and weigh 74,000 lbs. As I was getting into Tucson it felt like the steering locked up. I was able to get it off the side of the highway on I-10 in a pretty safe spot. When the power steering goes out like this it is incredibly hard to turn. At speed it can be done but if it happened at slower speeds or on a sharp turn it could have been disastrous. All you have is arm strong to turn the wheel. Anyway, after talking to Newell and reading some posts on Newell Gurus the likely issue was the hydraulic pump that feeds the power steering and fan. If the engine is idling and the fan does not turn that is the best indicator.   Jim and Stacy from Newell had it happen to them and knew exactly what I would need. So, thanks to them and Carlos from Newell parts they were able to ship me what I needed. Chad Stevens from Premium Coach let me use his business to ship the parts and even loaned me some tools to get the job done. The hardest part was leaving the coach on the side of I-10 for the night. I have cameras on the trailer so I was up all night checking it! The parts arrived before 8 am and I was off back to the coach in Tucson.

Now the fun part. This was not an easy job on the side of the road. It was dirty and without a trailer full of tools it would have been much harder! I was able to complete the job in about 2.5 hours and was back on the road. I feel very fortunate I was able to do this job. No one wants to tow one of these coaches if at all possible.

I would urge anyone that owns a coach with a C15 with over 100K miles to replace this pump and gear before it fails! I have attached my invoice with the parts needed along with some pictures from the repair. Also want to thank Richard from Newell Gurus for his help. I sent him a PM and he called me right back. I love the support from the Newell family!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf 2463.60.pdf Size: 124.42 KB  Downloads: 16

Jim Epler "Mr300"
2008 Newell 1217 towing a 20 foot Gold Rush Stacker Trailer
2000 Newell 564, 2018 Chevy Colorado with 2015 BMW R1200GS in the bed

For those who ever have trouble in az I am just outside of phoenix and have a place with lots of tools. I would have Been glad to help.

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Do you think that spline failure is unique to the C15? Anything you think can be done to slow the failure time?

06 M450LXi 3 slide

(10-23-2022, 07:13 PM)arcticdude Wrote:  Do you think that spline failure is unique to the C15?  Anything you think can be done to slow the failure time?

Hi #1218 C15 over here in the UK, this has happened to me TWICE!! the second time I replace the drive gear again and the pump input shaft, it's an Eaton Vickers pump.
The worst part is that all the ground down Hardened material goes into your engine oil, the filter cannot remove it all, ( my oil analyses ) picked it up, I changed my oil and filter  6 times over the following 6 months as a precaution, and as yet no ill effects.

#1218 in Europe based in the UK

#1218 in Europe based in the UK