You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Starlink now mobile

starlink uses a soft cap in some other countries along with giving a reduced monthly price. starlink has been expanding too fast here in the usa in my opinion and many folks in areas that have cable or fibre are getting it. making it tougher on those of us that done have those options in rural areas.

the fup i hope will be well in excess of 1tb.

i already have a xeon server running unraid with plex on it.

i have two starlinks. the gen one round dishy here at home i have had for 18 months that has slowed down considerably and a gen 2 retangular dishy at our mountain home. it is great.

here at home when we moved here in 2014 the only choice was dsl and hughsnet. i had dsl for a couple of years but was at the far end of the demarc and co switch so i never got above 3mb. it was slower at times than that. i used to be on the state of arizona broadband commission and when i lived in town i only talked about rural internet issues. then i was living them. i knew the head of az centurylink through that commission and contacted him for help as regular channels got the brilliant suggestions of recycling the modem....ha

his network engineers confirmed that i was just too far away from the switch. as you know, dsl is a distance based service for data. and in its various versions (adsl, vdsl and its enhancements), about 18,000 feet is getting to be max. even though the switch was only about 2 miles by driving, it zig zaged around before it got to me and was older cabling. so no real hope of it being useful.

there are a number of small local point to point wireless providers that i used for a number of years. they were tons better than dsl, but not very reliable and speeds were all over the map.

starlink made everything great. it has been disappointing as starlink speeds have declined quite a bit since i started the beta. they definitely are throttling the upload speeds now in my opinion and that of many.

i will admit, i am a geek and have over 40 connections at a time on my network, most not consuming any bandwidth unless called upon.

i asked a fellow guru who has starlink rv what his speeds were. he gave the best answer. i dont know but i can do wifi calling and stream whatever my wife wants.......

here are a couple of interesting starlink sites to look at.

https://starlinkstatus.space/

https://satellitemap.space/?norad=45744

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Messages In This Thread
Starlink now mobile - by SouthernDevGirl - 10-27-2022, 05:57 PM
RE: Starlink now mobile - by Richard - 10-28-2022, 07:23 AM
RE: Starlink now mobile - by SouthernDevGirl - 10-28-2022, 07:37 AM
RE: Starlink now mobile - by encantotom - 10-28-2022, 07:56 AM
RE: Starlink now mobile - by encantotom - 10-28-2022, 11:06 AM
RE: Starlink now mobile - by SouthernDevGirl - 10-28-2022, 11:32 AM
RE: Starlink now mobile - by Jack Houpe - 10-28-2022, 02:26 PM