You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

ALERT: INSPECT YOUR TOW SYSTEM TO AVOID FAILURE!
Exclamation 

Here's my video explaining the latest findings of 2 plate baseplate failures; one catastrophic, and the other a near miss.

Something critically important for all who are towing a vehicle with a tow-bar system.

LET'S GET THE WORD OUT...PLEASE SHARE!

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Very good video. Caused me to inspect mine that I have been towing for 1 1/2 yrs. Had to remove an inspection panel to get to the bolts holding the baseplate. All were tight. Took about an hour.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

The installer of my tow bar/ baseplate said it was mandatory that the height between the car and tow bar not exceed 3". Mine was at 1" (almost level from bus to Jeep) Told me metal fatigue gets created if the heights are off leading to break aways.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Also check your clevis pins. I had one break just before I went up Monarch pass. Saw my Tahoe in the side mirror and knew that wasn't right! Slowly came to a stop and the driver side towbar was dragging on the ground. Pin was nowhere to be found.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Yep, can't rule out parts that still fail due to "normal" stresses. I know my connection points seem loosey goosey. Might pick up some new clevis pins and removable arm connectors.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Might also be a good idea to have someone follow you at highway speed to ensure TOAD is not swaying side to side - that too can cause fatigue . . . .

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Absolutey kyleb. Never noticed any sway with either the Newell or Foretravel. But when I towed the Lexus with my Roadtrek it was a handful. The extra mass of the larger coaches diminished the felt sway, but now I'm sure it was still there.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I had a scare this summer while traveling. At any stop I do a safety walk around. To my shock, I found the hitch pin safety clip was missing on one side where the tow bar attaches to the baseplate. Luckily for me the pin was still in place.

The rest of this is my opinion based on my experience. The tow bar and pins were new this year. The safety clips were this style https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-1-3-4-i...lsrc=aw.ds I had never used this style before. I did learn soon after the install that there is a right way and a wrong way to install the pin and flip the ring.

It is my opinion that I either forgot to install the safety clip OR I flipped it the wrong direction and it flipped itself open. I cannot prove that. Forgot to install is the most likely culprit. 

Over the summer, I read two different stories from folks who had lost toads because the pins came out. Both individuals were convinced that someone removed the safety pins in a rest stop. They blamed it on truckers. In both cases the individuals were using the ring style safety pins. 

Coincidence? I don’t know. But homie won’t be using the ring style any more.

I now use this style. https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturin...3598&psc=1

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Yes Richard! Those flip over rings definitely have a right and wrong way to flip/lock them. RoadMaster puts a WARNING section in their instructions and what-not to alert you to this affect. I’m sure, though, like so many things, this small little detail goes unnoticed or even ignored.

I was paranoid having heard rumors of vandals pulling pins. Locks are not a part of my safety and escape plan, so like you, I do a safety check anytime we depart after being parked with our TOAD still attached. Sad.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA