You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New LG mini split heat pump on the way

So………just to make you aware of one of the challenges with any of the basement units. The generator discharge is right there under the coach. If you are boondocking in the heat of the summer, then just be aware the units will be sucking in very hot air from underneath.

I am NOT saying you should do it my way. When I was figgering on this type of install, I figgered on pulling air in through the doors and discharging under the coach. I also thought about putting in a fan or blower at the discharge area to help exhaust the heat. I was going to use a relay triggered off the compressor or fan to power the exhaust fan.

I have demonstrated to myself when boondocking in hot humid weather that raising the coach all the way up on the air bags lowers the AC air discharge temp about 3 degrees. I have also demonstrated for myself that closing off that floor opening that feeds the existing SCS unit lowers the AC discharge temp about 1 degree. Not dramatic, but every once in a while we were boondocking in 90 degrees, 90%RH and every little bit helped.

Have I mentioned my wife does NOT like to be hot.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Very valuable information Richard! I had forgotten about the generator exhaust being there but the generator is soon to be just a back up for the solar system, I purchased ten 550w bifacial solar panels for second phase of this transformation, going to pick them up this Saturday although I will not have time to install them and the new inverter, solar charger system as we leave for Cedar Key, Fl. the first of the year where I hope to meet you! 

I am getting rid of outdated things that I have no use for, the satellite system is one, already removed the VCR and all the satellite boxes and the TV ant control panel, its free to anyone who wants it we live close to Newell so if your passing through stop and pick it up. 

We received our ducted unit from FedEx yesterday after raising a stink over it sitting in the warehouse for a week 21 miles from house so today I will start that installation. We removed the 23 year old refrigerator for the install and decided to make the investment to a new inverter unit. The old unit did work but drew 9.84 amps at 120vac so thats 98.4 amps from 12vdc house batteries and or inverter so thats not going to work, new inverter refrigerators draw a 3-4 amps then ramp down, so Kathleen is on a mission to find the right unit.

The ducted unit will go above the refrigerator and up against the roof, it will be partially in the washer dryer area so I can create some type of air filtering system that can be serviced.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Oh, you will see us, maybe too much of us. I have a fear that when my bride, my TV watching bride, hears how quiet those AC units are, that I may be in for a spring project.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Well if anyone can do it it would be you.

Gravette, Arkansas

I have been watching this thread. Looking forward to the finished product. I may be in for a similar deal. (Might copy your solar project but I am in no rush yet)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Good morning, good day yesterday got all the line sets and wires pulled through the whole coach, installed mid coach evaporator and built a new header piece over the fridge to accommodate the ducted evaporator. I am so lucky to have a wife that helps me and loves to do it even in the cold. New vent grill is on order 30x4 inch.

Gravette, Arkansas

so cool, in so many ways.....ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

One step forward, one step back.

Yesterday I unpacked the 18000 btu unit from the box and was laying out where it goes on the wall in the bedroom then noticed the lines coming from the evaporator were 3/8" and 5/8" not like the lines coming from the 24000 btu unit which are 1/4" and 3/8", my heart sunk when I seen this Kathleen and I pulled the line set the day before and now I will have to do it again with a bigger line, NOT an easy job! On a good note the last piece of the project showed up and its really cool looking, I hope it cools as good as it looks.

Off to Enid Oklahoma to pick up a load of 525w solar cells, the price on these is just to good to pass up. $200 each, I'm hoping to put 10-11 of them on the roof down the road. Anyone who lives close should get some of these, they are new and still on the pallets, he has 40 of them left. Divorce sale.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/ite...ger_banner

Gravette, Arkansas

Loaded 17 panels in my van yesterday in 32 degree weather with the wind 14 mph. You got to love North Central Oklahoma! Another member here also got some panels for his projects.

I wanted to post a diagram of the next phase Newell conversion when we return from our trip, a person has asked about how I plan on doing this so I drew this up this morning, and is subject to change but here is how you get 220vac from two single phase growatt inverters solar charger, battery charger all in one. I have six 8d house batteries on my coach, two behind the tag axle and 4 in front of the drivers, I also have two 8d batteries for the engine, my plan is to have one solar panel dedicated to two 8d house batteries and also keep the engine batteries charged up while under the sun this way I will not need a DC to DC converter and the house DC wiring will be the same less four 8D batteries and the magnum inverter. I will take the four remaining batteries and series two of them for each inverter, this will give me 24vdc for each inverter, this may change as I could do all 4 in series and make 48v going to 48vdc inverters just haven't decided yet. If your plugged into 120vac 30amp then you are limited to 30 amps shore power so that means only 15amps from each inverter to make 240vac but if you have a sunny day your panels will make up the difference and or battery will add to the output. The growatt inverters output is wired directly to to the coach AC breaker panel and the input to that panel from the grid goes directly into the growatt inverters. I will need to research how the coach uses 120vac to power everything and then how it utilizes 240vac. Is there a contactor for shore power voltage? Is there a contactor for the diesel generator? 

When I did this conversion to our class B van it was only 30amp 120vac so it was pretty easy and everything was 120vac and the grid tied directly into the victron inverter and the output of the inverter fed everything. I only had 2 panels on the roof which gave us 770w max, I never seen 770w because they are flat but have seen 680w which was enough to run the AC on silent mode (half power) and refrigerator during daylight hours, we boondocked for 9 days and never started the generator. When off grid we never used more than one appliance at a time, if you had the AC going we would turn it off and make coffee or use the microwave then turn the AC back on when done. The biggest current draw we had was the electric hot water heater, we only used it when plugged into the grid or switched to propane never off batteries or solar. That being said I think the Newell will be the same way, I do not plan on using the aquahot off the sun or batteries, just to large a current draw. With this amount of solar on the roof it will be easy to use one of the heat pumps going down the road without generator.

Gravette, Arkansas

Just to clarify your Aquahot uses very little 12vdc when running the diesel burner. Also when driving it uses the engine loop to heat the Aquahot giving you heat and hot water. (I may have misunderstood your statement)

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337