You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Steering column

(12-14-2022, 09:03 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  I've read the threads and post from Tom and Richard on this subject and this is a have to fix before next trip. I had a tremendous amount of play in my steering wheel so bad I had to pull over every 100 miles or so to put bio freeze on my neck and lay down for a few minutes to calm my nerves. Yesterday evening I removed the column and found its not the first time its been out one of the 4 column mounting bolts was snapped off in the column and I could reach down and move the shaft by hand so the bearings are shot, I  put it in the vise you could see the was slop coming from the top and bottom. I called a place in NY and 2-3 weeks out and not one on the shelf to swap out, so I ordered a 28" keyed tilt generic GM column that I will have to tig weld some nuts on to for mounting and either change out the U joint to a DD type fitting or tig weld the spline onto the end of it.  it. I called Morgan at Newell and he said he didn't think they had any rebuilds in stock and still waiting on his reply. 

One question for the gurus on this, how did you remove that intermediate shaft from the steering box? Do you have to remove the gauges? Seems to long to pull straight up, I'd like to check that rubber dampener.
I know this is an old thread, but I have my column out and I am trying to figure out how the bottoms bearing and plastic sleeve come out? Do you have to disassemble the entire column, I started down that road yesterday and then realized I needed special tools. Tools are ordered but hoping I do not have to tear down the whole column. Any help is appreciated!

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

From the underneath side I laid on my back and maneuvered my body where I could get my arm up and take out the bolt that secured it to the steering box. It's the same as the one that connects to the bottom of the column.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(08-23-2023, 09:24 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  From the underneath side I laid on my back and maneuvered my body where I could get my arm up and take out the bolt that secured it to the steering box. It's the same as the one that connects to the bottom of the column.

I have the column removed, I talking about getting the bearing out of the bottom of the column. 

Here is what I am trying to get out

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Oh I'm so sorry! I have a little dyslexia at times, I put the column in my vise use the flat blade screwdriver and a small Hammer tapped all the way around it until it came out, then just pressed out the old bearing it actually came out very easily the new bearing I put it on my hydraulic press but was a little nervous about putting too much pressure on it that's to not break the plastic I used to heat gun and it went down all the way well under pressure.

Not to use excuses but cell phones are not the best to try to answer post when your old as dirt. Smile

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(08-23-2023, 02:05 PM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Oh I'm so sorry! I have a little dyslexia at times, I put the column in my vise use the flat blade screwdriver and a small Hammer tapped all the way around it until it came out, then just pressed out the old bearing it actually came out very easily the new bearing I put it on my hydraulic press but was a little nervous about putting too much pressure on it that's to not break the plastic I used to heat gun and it went down all the way well under pressure.

Not to use excuses but cell phones are not the best to try to answer post when your old as dirt.  Smile

No worries, thanks! Richard was trying to remember how he removed his (he said the same thing, tapped it out with a screwdriver) and I just figured I would see if someone else had removed it and came across this thread. Appreciate the help.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490