You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Jake Brake weak

Own Coach 1665, 2020 Newell.  I’ve noticed very weak performance on my Jake Brake at low and especially high range.  Any thoughts, suggestions or helps / ideas?

Tim

So, if you have the driver window open and the jake activates, can you hear it? If you can’t then there may be an electrical problem with the activation circuit.

Has it always been this way, or did it happen suddenly?

Have you had the valves and jakes adjusted on the engine?

What gear does the transmission shift into when the Jake activates?

I know you were looking for answers, but answers to these questions may help get to an answer.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Hi Tim,

Are you running a PDI Tuner, by chance?  Any other mods like PDI manifolds?

After my PDI manifolds were installed, I found there wasn't as much of a difference between low and high.  I had PDI scope the motor under a drive-test and everything was working well.  They said the Low/High valving and percentages of 66% & 100% aren't enough to make a decernable difference between the two setttings.

I noticed a difference before the mods.  So, my point is, the system seems to have some room for variability with a tuner and/or manifold mods since they reduce backpressure.

NOW...with all that out of the way, you're gonna have to have someone like PDI or, God forbid, Cummins check it out.  I know of a 2021 that had to have a complete Jake valve check because they found one malfunctioning!

If you're down in SoCal, the guys at Colton Truck Terminal are pretty sharp and I really like working with them.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Do have the PDI tuner. Going to get intake and exhaust manifold installed as well and gave them look at things while I’m there.

(12-21-2022, 07:40 AM)tceklund Wrote:  Do have the PDI tuner.  Going to get intake and exhaust manifold installed as well and gave them look at things while I’m there.

That’s a good plan right there!

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

(12-21-2022, 01:07 PM)CaptainGizmo Wrote:  
(12-21-2022, 07:40 AM)tceklund Wrote:  Do have the PDI tuner.  Going to get intake and exhaust manifold installed as well and gave them look at things while I’m there.

That’s a good plan right there!

Ok, but I have to know just how hard is it to go to PDI and tell them to do manifolds, etc. and not add on the compound turbo setup like Mark did?

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO