You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

series 60 oil drain plug

Thank you Richard, I replace the entire assembly it was leaking around one of the housing covers. I've had the new assembly for several weeks but so many other things to do I didn't have a chance to change it now we're getting ready to leave on Sunday it was a major importance to get this done. It was a dirty job actually had to change my clothes twice before my wife would let me in the house, I did it the hard way by crawling between the tag axle and the drivers and removing the lines which were covered in 23 years of Greece and dirt but it did give me a chance to see what I would look like with a black beard rather than Gray. I had some half inch all thread and cut two pieces about 2 in long and threaded into the new housing which supported the housing after reinserting it through the holes then crawled back out and got one bolt started out of the three that I have then remove the all thread and reinserted the other two bolts. I am proud to say that my compressor now didn't come on for four and a quarter hours, I'm certain there are probably more leaks but I'm getting them narrowed down. I can live with the four and a quarter hours till I have some more time on my hands perhaps while we're in cedar key.

I also removed the first of the two steer tires and took it to the tire shop to replace with new tires, when I was on the driver side I could reach up and grab a hold of the steering column drive shaft the u-joint that goes to the steering box itself seem to be very tight but I couldn't move this with my hand but had some play going into the steering box, I've read your post about adjusting the worm screw and I'm familiar with this from my old 51 Chevy truck back when I was a kid. Where is this adjustment located on the steering box? I've looked everywhere but it I can feel on the top of the box that there is a nut is this where it is located? I apologize for all these questions but the learning curve is starting to narrow down to the travel desire and I want to get this thing on the road by Sunday.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

It’s on the side. Look for a stud with a screw slot, and a 3/4 in lock nut.

When I was playing with this adjustment, I settled on a thin flat blade place cross ways in the slot to give me a better eye on fine adjustments. And a 3/4 open wrench works better in the space than a box wrench.

Go easy. TRW has an adjustment procedure for the box in place but it requires you to take the pitman arm loose. Which is a whole nother project.

You might want to drive a bit with the new bearing in the steering column befor you tweak the steering gear box.

BTW, the box is a TRW TAS85

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you for the hundredth time! I will take it for a spin first then if I feel like I'm driving my 51 Chevy truck I'll try adjusting that nut a little bit. On my Chevy I had somebody turn the wheel slightly back and forth while I was adjusting the worm screw then tighten down the nut.

Gravette, Arkansas

Well I guess I have a different steering box minus the adjustment. Oh well hope the test drive proves to be positive.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gravette, Arkansas

That is not the tas 85 box.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )