You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Transmission air modulator?

On my '98 I had a persistent air leak that I finally figured out. After addressing all of the obvious areas, generator slideout valve, air ride seats, etc. while crawling in one of my basements I looked up and found a length of 1/4" tubing coiled up and tucked up. The end of it had a collar and plug. The plug was just finger tight with no sealant on the threads and yes it was leaking air. Pulled the plug, taped it up, and cut compressor time considerably. Not sure what that tubing was for.
Look around there may be something like that for an unused item.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thanks Forest, I did go through the bays. I even canceled the air ride seat option air lines by capping them at the manifold. There was a minor leak from the ram that used to cover the steps and had long been disconnected. That too, got a brass plug at the basement manifold. Everything is leak free under the coach per Leo. I haven't played around the brake pedal assembly but brakes hold well. It's the aux tank that leaks out. I have been removing unneeded accessories. Now that I think about it, there used to be a Microphor toilet that was once removed. I will check around the plumbing bays. See? You just opened up a thinking cap and here I hadn't thought to look in the plumbing area! I have had my hands all over this coach for the most part. Gets frustrating. I envy Dean being able to have his compressor running once every 12 hours. His coach is only 4 away from my build. It can be done!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

do you have the air operated dump valve? If so, both the solenoid valve assembly AND the o rings inside the actuator can leak, and it is hard to detect. This is a two way acting setup, meaning air pressure is ALWAYS on one side or the other of the acuator.

Are you leaving the coach in autolevel? Second time to ask. If you are to keep the coach level while it sits, I suggest that you disable autolevel while you hunt air leaks and time the compressor? Why? Because the six pack isolates the air leveling system from the aux system. If the time changes significantly when you disable autolevel, then your leak is in the air bag setup.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(01-09-2023, 06:51 AM)BusNit Wrote:  Thanks Jack! Yes, It is always covered with a steel open mesh walkable grid.

That is first class.

Wonder if I have one of those modulators in my transmission?

Forest I have found those coils also, I guess they are spares for something.

Richard that was one of my major leaks, I do not have air operated dump valves any longer, I just do it manually. It also seems the toilet uses a lot of air for flushing, we are camping now in Cedar Key and it will go 4 hours without coming on but if you flush the toilet it comes on every 2 hours or so. I'm a heavy sleeper but my wife can hear a ant walking at night so I might just turn it off at night till I get the rest of the leaks found.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Jack, you do not have that modulator.

I need to introduce you to JunAir compressors. Before JunAir, I would turn off the compressor at night so the Thomas wouldn’t come on and wake me. Our in laws were traveling with us, and Rhonda and I gave them the bedroom. Without thinking, I turned off the compressor. Sometime in the night, we were awakened by my father in law pounding on the bedroom door. He had to use the mid ship bathroom, and the door wouldn’t open because of no air pressure. I still hear about that one.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

One more thing to put on the list. Update compressor.

I have to admit Richard that sort of funny.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I spent $700 on a new Gast compressor. I too, would be curious on something much more quieter and a constant duty rating.

Jack you won't have the modulator as your coach is all electronic.

Richard, that's funny and at the same time, great memories created!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312