You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

3/8 Push Fittings

(01-07-2023, 05:52 PM)Richard Wrote:  I would suggest that you add fittings in the appropriate sizes like this https://www.mcmaster.com/push-to-connect...ial~brass/. I don’t like push to connect, but these jewels will splice a cut or nicked line in about two seconds and get you back in business until you can fix it correctly.

If you also add https://www.mcmaster.com/51915K36 in the same sizes, you can cap an air line in short fashion.

Yes true, Richard!  I have a couple plastic ones, just for the emergency you mentioned.  The list I made was strictly to help folks build a DOT supply, but they certainly can use a few of the plastic (or brass) push-on unions!

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Is a compression fitting a one time use or can you just use a new sleeve?

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Brad yes you can reuse a compression fitting, buy a few new ferrules and the brass sleeves (these keep the plastic tubing from cutting when tightening).

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(01-08-2023, 06:15 AM)folivier Wrote:  Brad yes you can reuse a compression fitting, buy a few new ferrules and the brass sleeves (these keep the plastic tubing from cutting when tightening).
I need further education. So I’ve seen where I can buy replacement sleeves and nuts, but haven’t seen ferrules.  I somehow assumed the ferrule was permanently attached to that side of the fitting.  Also, to clarify I assumed the ferrule is the part that fits inside the tube?

Speaking of replacement nuts, is there a need for them or are you generally fine using the same nut with a new sleeve?

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

(01-08-2023, 12:03 PM)360 Wrote:  
(01-08-2023, 06:15 AM)folivier Wrote:  Brad yes you can reuse a compression fitting, buy a few new ferrules and the brass sleeves (these keep the plastic tubing from cutting when tightening).
I need further education.  So I’ve seen where I can buy replacement sleeves and nuts, but haven’t seen ferrules.  I somehow assumed the ferrule was permanently attached to that side of the fitting.  Also, to clarify I assumed the ferrule is the part that fits inside the tube?

Speaking of replacement nuts, is there a need for them or are you generally fine using the same nut with a new sleeve?

Brad,

We need a little bit of terminology clarifcation here:
The fitting consists of the body, the compression sleeve (or sometimes called a ferrule), the insert, and the nut.

Yes, the SLEEVE should be replaced when you break the connection; the rest of the components are reusable.

This is an example of 'Best Practice' versus, do I HAVE TO.  Many times, the sleeve "could be" reused, such as in an emergency when you don't have a new one.  But, even if I have to "rob" from another spare fitting, I'll always replace the sleeve with a new one.  Easy to buy another pack when convenient.

As to the INSERT, not every fitting has one.  As you've found out, they are loose, not a fixed part of the fitting.  Those are generally designed for to help the nylon brake tubing maintain it's shape/diameter under the compression of the sleeve.  Inserts aren't used for rigid tubing such as copper.

Hope this helps.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

(01-07-2023, 05:52 PM)Richard Wrote:  I would suggest that you add fittings in the appropriate sizes like this https://www.mcmaster.com/push-to-connect...ial~brass/. I don’t like push to connect, but these jewels will splice a cut or nicked line in about two seconds and get you back in business until you can fix it correctly.

If you also add https://www.mcmaster.com/51915K36 in the same sizes, you can cap an air line in short fashion.

Thanks for the tip on those plugs.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO