You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rear Camera, Horn, HWH Relay

A couple months back I realized that an HWH problem I had was a faulty relay down by the passenger footwell that is also tied into the horn and my rear camera.  The issue I'm now having is that when I hit a really bad pothole, etc. at times my camera will either just blink or it might even go dead for a few seconds.  Since I realized these were tied together I have attempted to use the horn at the time the camera is out and sure enough no horn and I also then know no HWH.

Questions are:

1.) I would assuming no power to HWH would mean that while driving so long as I didn't loose air I'd be ok for awhile, i.e. 3-4 hours until I get home?  That is if you don't mind driving without a rear camera or horn.

2.) What would a rough road do cause these intermittent challenges with the relay?

I have spare relays and now that I know what the issue is I can easily swap one out, but just trying to head off a much bigger issue since HWH is powered by that relay.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Brad,

On a thread somewhere I recall that if you jumper 12v to a travel solenoid (on either of the 6 packs), it will cause all travel solenoids to be energized and that will get you home.

For the pot hole issue I'm thinking it may be a physical connection issue or corrosion on a terminal contact.
Other than tracing all contacts I don't have an idea of where that may be occuring. I'm using my experience of restoring a 25 year old muscle car and the issues that occured in the 18 years I owned it.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

I think it’s going to be a little more work than that. Once upon a time, I helped Bill work on an intermittent relay problem in that same bank. What we found was the female plug in sockets for the relay were not making good contact. The point being that when you replace the relay, look carefully at the spades and the plugs for signs of poor contact.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(05-17-2023, 10:05 AM)Richard Wrote:  I think it’s going to be a little more work than that. Once upon a time, I helped Bill work on an intermittent relay problem in that same bank. What we found was the female plug in sockets for the relay were not making good contact. The point being that when you replace the relay, look carefully at the spades and the plugs for signs of poor contact.

Perfect.  Planning to be on a rough road Friday so it should be a good test once I look at the spades.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

The way the relay socket base is made is plastic surrounding female spade connectors. So I'd imagine in a pinch and the socket is bad you might be able to cut the wires and crimp on female spades, insulated of course. If there's enough wire to do that. Or just make sure you have spare bases in your parts box.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337