You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Changing inverter settings for 110 shore.

Need to know how to change the settings on my Magnum inverter to accept 110 vs. 50 amp.  Shop I’m going to can keep me inside, but does not have 50 am plug yet.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Brad, this is a special case. I've done some videos on this topic as, I too, only have 110v in storage. I've used and outboard charger for my house, and split my power cord to feed my XANTREX chassis charger.

Reason being, the Outback inverters don't like being fed only 110v and end up popping the GFCI that's common to storage units. A REAL PITA!!!

On the Magnum panel for our Dutch Star, however, I was able to set the INPUT AMP LIMIT to 5amps. That was all that was needed in order to tame the draw from that inverter.

Forgive me, not trying to be condescending, but this is for you or anyone who "may" be misunderstanding this...as we ALL have at one point!

Remember, you're mixing metaphors when you say "110 vs. 50amp"...that's VOLTS vs. AMPS. This gets a LOT of people in trouble due to a lack of understanding what's really going on. Standard outlets of 110 VOLTs are a single phase of 110v electricity, rated at 15 or 20 amps, whereas the "50 AMP" plug we refer to is actual two 120v 50 amp lines, that are combined for 240v service (for a total of 100 amps). So, our coach's inverters really expect to be able to "suck" 50 amps of service, NO MATTER HOW WE ADAPT THE CORD!

So, the problem for me (and those I've assisted) with the Outbacks is, that they are really incapable of playing nice on a simple 15 amp service, ESPECIALLY when it's protected with a stupid GFI.

I hope this helps, and maybe it's worth a try setting your Magnum to 5amp INPUT LIMIT. Good luck; you know how to get ahold of me. ;-)

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

(01-14-2023, 01:41 PM)CaptainGizmo Wrote:  Forgive me, not trying to be condescending, but this is for you or anyone who "may" be misunderstanding this...as we ALL have at one point!
Absolutely love the additional explanation so that I can try to actually understand what I’m doing and/or so that my question doesn’t confuse someone else.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

(01-14-2023, 01:41 PM)CaptainGizmo Wrote:  So, the problem for me (and those I've assisted) with the Outbacks is, that they are really incapable of playing nice on a simple 15 amp service, ESPECIALLY when it's protected with a stupid GFI.

So I have run my coach for months on end with 30A or 15A 110V circuits. Did I damage the Outback FX? 

I ask because this week the system started a new thing. The things on the inverter circuits beban cycling off and on sometimes while running the generator to charge batteries. It starts after the genset has been running for 15 or more minutes. Then might or might not cut out. It sometimes cycles off and on every minute or it might take several minutes, or it might not happen at all. The Outback "MATE" display shows AC power connected the entire time this is happening. 
I am now off grid btw.  

When I shut down the genset the inverter light comes on and everything runs as normal. This started Thursday after I had used my Honda EU2000 as shore power. 

Did I damage the automatic transfer switch? 

I have not yet caught the Newell Volt and Amp meters

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.