You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is this coach a good choice?

Is this Newell a good choice?

1995 Newell 450 | Bob Hurley RV

I have owned a 35' MCI bus conversion and a 40' TMC bus conversion.

Now I am thinking about getting a Newell, which advertised on the back cover of Bus Conversion Magazine for years, putting the Newell name in my head.

I have two young children, a wife and a Border Collie dog. I want to show my family the country and when the time comes, homeschool the kids during our travels.

I like this particular Newell because it has two sofa beds up front for our children to sleep in.

I also like that it has zero slides because I understand slides are expensive to maintain.

This ad leaves out a lot, but I presume it has a Series 60 engine. I would only consider a 4-stroke engine.

The paint on this coach looks a bit old, but it's presentable as is.

Why does the roof height change on these older Newell's? What's going on up there?

I ask because I'd like to put several thousand watts of solar panels up there and add a mini-split in a bay so I can cool the unit from solar alone. I have read Newell's have exceptional insulation, but I don't know if that applies only to newer models.

I see newer and nicer Newells at MOT in Texas, but they all have multiple slides, and none sleep a couple of kids plus the parents.

May I please hear your thoughts?

Trip lengths would be in the one week to three-month range, but not full time, as I have a home base in California.

I have only a Class C license.

Any thoughts on how to get the non-commercial class B license that California requires to drive this 45' coach?

My best answer so far is to pay $2,500 to a local commercial bus driving school to get a Commercial Class B with Passenger Endorsement. They provide the bus and trainer and let me take the DMV test using their bus. This will take about 10 days at 1-2 hours per day they say since I have experience driving bus conversions already.

Once I get the Commerical Class B with Passenger Endorsement license, they say to take it to the DMV and downgrade it to a non-commercial Class B license. They said the Commercial version also allows me to drive a 45' housecar, but presumably it's cheaper to keep a non-commercial license?

I don't mind paying $2,500, but it is a lot of money when there likely won't be much difference for me compared to driving a 40' coach.

The coach above is 1,500 miles away, so I need the proper license to drive it home. Maybe there isn't enough time to even go through driver school before someone buys this coach, but there is always another one around the corner.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area if that helps answer the question.

Thank you!

Kevin

Are you mechanically or electrically skilled? Are you prepared to do most of your own maintenance? How was your ownership experience with the converted buses?

Have you read the entire section What to consider when buying a used Newell?

An up close and personal inspection is a MUST. So is oil, coolant, and transmission fluid analysis.

Is it a good choice depends mostly upon you and what you are prepared to undertake. A coach of this era is not a toy you use, put away, and pull it out the next time you want to play. It takes considerable care to maintain. This is not a Newell thing. The same comments apply to any high end coach of ANY age.

I had a 95 with a similar setup up front. It slept my two boys just fine until they were grown.

It will have a Series 60.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Couple thoughts. That coach does look nice and the twin sofas should work for you. But you might consider looking for one with a private bath that you can close off or possibly one with 2 toilets. They are rare in that year and price range. As your children get older privacy will become more important. Both for them and you and your wife. Also a dinette might work better than the table and chairs.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

You questioned the raised roof in the rear of the coach. My coach was also raised in order to allow room for a ceiling fan over the bed.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Kevin, you are at the beginning of the right age bracket for a Newell with a Series 60 and no slides. There were a few early 1995's with the 8V92 but most, including this one, had the Series 60. The first Newell with a slide was #436, the next to the last 1996 model. About 1/2 of the 1997 models had no slides with the remainder having 1 or 2 slides.

The twin front couches are a rarity during that time period. Most had a single couch with a recliner and a cabinet mounted to the wall opposite the couch. Less than 15-20% had twin couches.

As to Hasting's Humpy, the partial raised roof, was a result of a suggestion from a long time Newell owner. With the shift from the 8V92 to the taller Series 60, the headroom in the rear of the coach had to be reduced. Hasting recommmended increase the headroom over the bedroom by raising the roof line over the bath and bedroom. You will find a number of Newells with the partially raised roof beginning around #382.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

This has been for sale in Tulsa for several months, the price decrease must mean its been looked over and passed up due so something that needs attention. Just my thoughts. You being from California you might want to see if you can get it registered being non DEF, I know my nephew who has a airport bus service had to shut it down due to the CA regulations now.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(12-15-2022, 05:09 PM)Kevin7 Wrote:  I have only a Class C license.

Any thoughts on how to get the non-commercial class B license that California requires to drive this 45' coach?

My best answer so far is to pay $2,500 to a local commercial bus driving school to get a Commercial Class B with Passenger Endorsement. They provide the bus and trainer and let me take the DMV test using their bus. This will take about 10 days at 1-2 hours per day they say since I have experience driving bus conversions already.

Once I get the Commerical Class B with Passenger Endorsement license, they say to take it to the DMV and downgrade it to a non-commercial Class B license. They said the Commercial version also allows me to drive a 45' housecar, but presumably it's cheaper to keep a non-commercial license?

I don't mind paying $2,500, but it is a lot of money when there likely won't be much difference for me compared to driving a 40' coach.

The coach above is 1,500 miles away, so I need the proper license to drive it home. Maybe there isn't enough time to even go through driver school before someone buys this coach, but there is always another one around the corner.

I can help you with this question.  I can GUARANTEE you this is the correct information and that even talking to your local DMV will only make you wanna jump off a cliff!  You'll not find ANY of the reps with a bit of a clue, until you go to a "Commercial" DMV testing site!!

The CA DMV law requires drivers of "Housecars" OVER 40' to have a "Non-Commercial Class B Housecar License".

I made a video explaining the process in detail:

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

If you are a California resident I strongly suggest you read up on SB1. I may be wrong but what I found out last week was that as of 01JAN23 you will only be able to drive 1000 miles annually and that's if they grant you the exception to do so...calL CARB and be aware but most importantly enjoy your journey

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is