You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

ADVICE/HELP

I am purchasing an old Newell ('84) with extensive water damage. I planned to replace/update most of the interior anyway, so not put off too much. Does anyone have pointers on the repair process. Two walls are pretty much gone, and lots of rot near windows. Do the rivets fail on the exterior allowing water penetration? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

We also have a 1984 Newell. Every Newell is different, but our coach does not appear to have ever  had any water enter via failed rivets. There has been repair due to window seals failing and clearance markers on the roof needing new gaskets which leaked into the rear closets .  Your coach seems to have had water intrusion around the door. I see that the floor in the picture looks to be more recent than 84. These coaches were built very stout, but many owners installed a/c units and various stuff on the roof, and may not have maintained the sealing materials used. I'm sure others on here have also chased leaks and will chime in. Good luck, you have a great coach to work with.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I had a rivet on the roof fail. I had just brought it home and we were ready for our maiden adventure.
The Florida monsoon let enough water in that it was obvious an issue was up. A dab of silicone over the empty rivet hole fixed the problem. I also resealed the roof where two sheets of aluminum meet. I removed the old caulk and replaced it with new. This fixed a leak that looked like it was a window leak. A PO had tried sealing around the window without removing the window to do it properly.

Welcome to the group and Newll Life!

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

did you have to do any work on the ceiling panels? are the accessible from inside or does replacement require stipping the skin off?

Nothing is impossible it just takes money and labor. We looked at an 84 in Missouri that had leaked pretty bad through the roof vent and it was sunk to the hubs in mud and passed on it but but a 99 and still had to repair water damage. It is what it is.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas