You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Pyrometer on Silverleaf?

Anyone ever figured out how to get a Pryrometer to show up in Silverleaf gauges?

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Do you have a pyrometer? Have you added one?

If it doesn’t show up when you run the PID sniff routine, then you don’t have one.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I don't believe I do and I have not added one...yet. My plan is to add a Stage 1 PDI tuner/manifold/turbo and while from all of the information I can gather when I do the manifold and turbo in addition to the tuner I'll end up running lower temps than what I'd assume I do now. But I just felt like for good measure I'd prefer to know just exactly what my EGT is. If I was running purely their tune I don't think I could do it without the gauge.

I think the simplest way is just to run a separate gauge and I already have a vacant spot where the old TPMS gauge was. Would be super slick if there was a way for it to be in my Silverleaf as my eyes are always looking up there. For me it's like a heads up display.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

Brad,

If you're doing the PDI upgrades, then they would be:

Stage 1 = Tuner
Stage 2 = + Int/Exh Manifolds
Stage 3 = + Turbo

If PDI is doing the work, then you're set; the PDI Tuner has all the temps guages you'll need. They work on CATs all the time, and if you don't have the sensors, they'll be able to add one.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

(02-01-2023, 12:37 PM)CaptainGizmo Wrote:  Brad,

If you're doing the PDI upgrades, then they would be:

Stage 1 = Tuner
Stage 2 = + Int/Exh Manifolds
Stage 3 = + Turbo

If PDI is doing the work, then you're set; the PDI Tuner has all the temps guages you'll need.  They work on CATs all the time, and if you don't have the sensors, they'll be able to add one.

Weird, on their website they call the complete package purely Stage 1 on the Cat products.  I plan to have my mechanic tackle it, I am just trying to wrap my mind around the best way to get me what I want.  Assuming we can't get the EGT to feed into the ECU/ECM so that I could be either read by their tuner gauge and/or Silverleaf I was able to find some nice people at Teltek that can special order any length of cable that you want for one of their digital EGT gauges.  I think I would prefer digital to analog if I end up having to go the separate gauge route.    

Fun times ahead.  Just love the concept of increased performance along with cooler temps, etc.  Lighter wallet, but that's the case with anything we do.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

Brad,

I will preface this by saying that I have not tried this myself….but….

The communication protocol between the engine and the Silverleaf is based on the SAE J1708 standard. It relies on a lower level standard called RS485.

RS485 is a communication scheme that allows to multiple devices on the same “network” to communicate with each other. For example, the engine, transmission can both talk on the same network without knowing about each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1708

Why is this interesting?

The CAT engine has an J1708 port right by the engine it is connected by a pair of wires to another port near the drivers seat. Theoretically you could add a J1708 device (maybe your tuner) to the network, and then tap into the J1708 port by the drivers seat and add the gauge cluster.

If this worked you would be able to avoid running a wire the length of the coach.

Newer coaches use a standard called SAE 1939 which is different yet the same as J1708. I have not done the research to see if the J1708 and J1939 devices can live on the same pair of wires.

I will warn you that this is a bit of a rabbit hole, but would be interesting to play with.

For what it’s worth.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Here we go down the rabbit hole Bill!

Would like to know if anyone has advice on how one would go about connecting the EGT thermocouple to the ECU?

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

I had one other thought about this. I think a visit to Fabick Cat would be in order. Ask them if they can attach the sensor to the ECU for you.

Since the C12 is a general purpose engine and is used in a whole variety of applications…including marine. It stands to reason that the sensor array could be somewhat flexible.

In other words, could it be a simple as just plugging in a sensor for your exhaust gas temperature and then flashing the software to read it?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

What Bill said.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(02-03-2023, 06:43 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  I had one other thought about this.  I think a visit to Fabick Cat would be in order.  Ask them if they can attach the sensor to the ECU for you. 

Since the C12 is a general purpose engine and is used in a whole variety of applications…including marine.  It stands to reason that the sensor array could be somewhat flexible. 

In other words, could it be a simple as just plugging in a sensor for your exhaust gas temperature and then flashing the software to read it?

Sounds like a plan.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO