You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Black tank plumbing and other things

I've since repaired another rotted section of steel on the water heater side of the bay. Same deal as the left side. Rotted steel concealed by the foam. I believe water ingress was from ill drilled holes through the fiberglass that were never sealed. Once water gets in there, it has nowhere to go until it eats itself out. The aluminum bottom trim was all corroded. I had a shop replicate the bends and drill the holes to match the original pieces. New sections were fabricated out of 16ga galvanized steel. I test fitted them and sent them off to powder coating for now. They will be silver which will not match the coach paintwork until a final respray happens in the future. What I discovered on the water heater side was the original drain was cut open too large in the fiberglass and the silicone had failed allowing water to seep in between the wood and steel. I found a larger commercial sink drain that fit the hole perfectly. (Zurn 3" utility drain) Underside is sealed and lined with polyiso foam board with all edges sealed again as I did on the other side.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(04-18-2023, 04:16 PM)BusNit Wrote:  I've since repaired another rotted section of steel on the water heater side of the bay. Same deal as the left side. Rotted steel concealed by the foam. I believe water ingress was from ill drilled holes through the fiberglass that were never sealed. Once water gets in there, it has nowhere to go until it eats itself out. The aluminum bottom trim was all corroded. I had a shop replicate the bends and drill the holes to match the original pieces. New sections were fabricated out of 16ga galvanized steel. I test fitted them and sent them off to powder coating for now. They will be silver which will not match the coach paintwork until a final respray happens in the future. What I discovered on the water heater side was the original drain was cut open too large in the fiberglass and the silicone had failed allowing water to seep in between the wood and steel. I found a larger commercial sink drain that fit the hole perfectly. (Zurn 3" utility drain) Underside is sealed and lined with polyiso foam board with all edges sealed again as I did on the other side.
Looks fantastic.

Ken & Karen
2015 Newell (Coach #1517)

Nice work once again! My back hurts just looking at that.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

nice repair

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

Thanks for the compliments guys!  I am glad this is done with. What a saga that took many winter weekends to deal with. On the right side, someone either backed into the coach or driver scrubbed a fuel station pylon as the lower steel tube was concaved. I had to add shims in the form of stainless steel washers behind the rivets to keep the trim piece nice and square. I am happy with the results on both sides. All sealed up. Water test will happen in a few days to give the Dicor a chance to set up properly. Silicone was previously used which failed. So as they say.... "This concludes the emergency broadcast test"...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312