You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bay Door Latch

This may not apply to many but thought I’d put it out here to save the ones that are $186 for a new handle! 
I’ve got a side hinged bay doors with the aluminum skin on the back side so you can’t access the pull cable. I broke on of the handles (that could’ve been fixed) on a bay that had no other access from the underneath (electronics bay) and the other way in was to drill it out and grab the pull cable. Now that I’ve replaced the handle (Newell said they have been out for a few months and just got a shipment in) I added a second pull cable and ran down to the bottom where I can pull it to open if this should happen again. That’s one bay I didn’t want to be locked out of on the road! 
-I moved the second cable to the actual latch itself rather than where it is in the pic. That way if plastic gear breaks it will still work.     

Good addition Andrew.

The cable to keep a close eye on is the one that unlocks the engine hatch !

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Everyone should do that to every door they have with that style latch. At some point it will keep you from being locked out of a compartment.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531