You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Resealing windows

Morning Steve! When we had the salon slide out we removed the windows and I was contemplating using 3m 5200 but then thought it to be a mistake as you'd never get them out again so researched and found this is widely used and purchased it, so we did the front side windows with the same product. Its not flat tape like Newell used it round and it smashes to the area to create a good seal, you must do this slowly in a few steps to smash it evenly, we put the windows in then got the screws started on the inside frame and in about for trips around the window the frame was tight. On both drivers and passenger side windows the flat tape in some places was missing, I think this is what created a whistle effect up front and also a crosswind when parked you could hear wind. Not any more, 5 down and 5 more windows to go but some will require the forklift. 

On another note we pick up the coach this morning from Josams in Orlando, they replace the tag axle bushings which where shot and realigned the coach said it drove nice, I can't wait to find out! 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GT1W332?psc...ct_details

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Thanks Jack for the source and comments. I will be doing some of our windows in the near future.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

(03-23-2023, 03:22 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  I was contemplating using 3m 5200 but then thought it to be a mistake as you'd never get them out again so researched and found this is widely used and purchased it, so we did the front side windows with the same product. 
Approximately how much product did you use on each window?

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

(03-23-2023, 06:35 PM)360 Wrote:  
(03-23-2023, 03:22 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  I was contemplating using 3m 5200 but then thought it to be a mistake as you'd never get them out again so researched and found this is widely used and purchased it, so we did the front side windows with the same product. 
Approximately how much product did you use on each window?

Just one single bead and then the silicon over that, there is a good video on youtube showing how to use the product. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH7c6AtwYbo

Gravette, Arkansas

I wish we were closer Steve I would give you a hand, the bigger windows are extremely heavy, we have an old forklift which I built a platform on which came in very handy for the two big windows on the salon slide, don't think I'll tackle any more windows until we get home and have that forklift.

Gravette, Arkansas

(03-24-2023, 03:25 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  [quote pid="58704" dateline="1679621758"]

Just one single bead and then the silicon over that, there is a good video on youtube showing how to use the product. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH7c6AtwYbo

[/quote]

Couple questions.  You used the rolled foam product just like was in the video?  What did you do on what looks to be those pesky lower screws?  Thinking maybe some type of right angle screw driver?

I did the tape test and it was for sure an improvement so it looks like I'll be tackling this.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

Its more like rolled tar no foam, I used a torque tip with a 1/4" ratchet wrench. There is one screw on the drivers side thats missing so I guess even the factory gave up on trying to put it in. Took out the captains chair and there are a number of wood screw in the sides that the switches are mounted with the transmission buttons I took all the screws out and pulled the side console out as much as possible with out breaking it. It was a PITA.

Gravette, Arkansas

Thanks Jack. Can't wait to get this done as it's otherwise so quiet.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

(03-24-2023, 05:02 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  I wish we were closer Steve I would give you a hand, the bigger windows are extremely heavy, we have an old forklift which I built a platform on which came in very handy for the two big windows on the salon slide, don't think I'll tackle any more windows until we get home and have that forklift.
How heavy are the passenger and drivers side windows?

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

I'd estimate 35-40 lbs each.

Gravette, Arkansas